Carol's Reviews > Pagan Christianity: Exploring the Roots of Our Church Practices

Pagan Christianity by Frank Viola

Feb 27, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: faith-spirituality, non-fiction
Read in February, 2009

This book needs to come with a magnifying glass -- 100+ footnotes in each chapter in 2 point type! What were the authors/publisher thinking??

This book kicks the organized church in the shins -- hard. By considering the origins of church practices, Viola challenges us to not get over-invested in their 'sacredness' and lose sight of what's really important -- our spiritual connection. But Viola also asserts -- or he would say that God prescribes -- that the only way to 'do church' is through small, organic house groups. God is really this single-minded??

Lots of fuel here for dumping on the church organization, but little encouragement or help for growing in personal faith. With George Barna's name on it, would have hoped for something better.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pagan Christianity.

message 1: by Erika (new)

Erika lauren's dying to read this book... and i'm intrigued, too. who recommended it to you?

message 2: by Carol (last edited Sep 24, 2008 06:00AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Carol A followup to Barna's Revolution ... from his polling that indicated growing interest in moving away from church "games" to living one's faith 24/7. Yes, we are Revolutionaries! Want to borrow one or both?

message 3: by Erika (new)

Erika i'm reading his new book "reimagining church" and reviewing it for a magazine. do you want to do a home church with us sometime?