C.J. Anthony's Reviews > Into Deep Waters

Into Deep Waters by Kaje Harper

May 13, 12

Read in May, 2012

I am in awe of Kaje Harper and what a wonderful job she did with this prompt. Not only for all the amazing research and detail she put into this but also for the beautiful relationship she built between these two men. Their relationship starts in 1942 on a Navy ship in the middle of a war–the era and the place not exactly safe to be a gay man. So the tender, careful way she portrays the beginnings of their relationship is just perfect.

I loved that they were separated during the war (one MC, Jacob, sent home because of injury, and the other MC, Daniel, must continue to serve until the war is over) and they could only correspond through letters for 2 and a half long years–as was so common with so many couples during the war. The difference, of course is that they still had to hide their relationship, for fear of their letters being read.

I also loved that we got to follow them through their lives as they lived and loved and bickered and supported each other. And the ending was simply perfect. :)
Already dying to go back and read it again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into Deep Waters.