Linda Barone's Reviews > The Buddha in the Attic

The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka

Aug 07, 13

Read from July 27 to August 07, 2013

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Buddha in the Attic.

07/27/2013 marked as: currently-reading
08/07/2013 marked as: read

message 1: by Patty (new) - added it

Patty I have been thinking of nominating this book for our library discussion since it was a read that Doris Mahony reviewed and really liked. Interested in knowing what you think.

Linda Barone I have to say that part of the reason I'm reading it is because Doris liked it so much. I just started it yesterday but I'll let you know. So far it reminds me of several other books we've read about Asian families treating daughters as a burden or property.

Linda Barone This book tells a story that I had never really heard, but I have to say that I didn't enjoy the way it was presented. I found the use of long lists of examples tiresome (someone described them as Seussian - haha). I am glad to know the story of the history of the Japanese from reading this but I was happy to be done with it.

message 4: by Patty (new) - added it

Patty I've read a bunch of Lisa See, who is a really good writer. I can probably put this one further down my "to read" list. Thanks .
Will you be visiting Nancy soon? Let me know.