Lo's Reviews > North and South

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

May 13, 12

Read in May, 2012

Caveat: this book starts off pretty slow and I found it hard to get into the first time I tried reading it. I *highly* recommend watching the bbc North and South series before reading this book. Although they do not hold entirely true to the story line, I found it to be a better plot line than the book itself and a very powerful film.

There are some truly beautiful elements in this book that Gaskell does a good job of intertwining together to create a compelling story. If you enjoy Pride and Prejudice, North and South will be an enjoyable read and, in some respects, a nice contrast. Gaskell has a little more faith in the rights and privileges of women than Austen does (once again, for that time period), which is refreshing in Victorian Age literature. Also, Gaskell creates deeper, more round characters in some respects (Mrs. Thorton is a pretty flat character, but then again, so is Mr. Darcy).

Overall, this was a fun book to read. I'd highly recommend to someone who enjoys Pride and Prejudice. However, I'd honestly recommend the BBC series over the book; Richard Armitage is phenomenal as Mr. Thorton and is quite fun to watch for four hours :)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read North and South.