Cynthia's Reviews > Visits from the Afterlife: The Truth About Hauntings, Spirits, and Reunions with Lost Loved Ones

Visits from the Afterlife by Sylvia Browne

Mar 20, 14

Read in September, 2008, read count: 1

As of May 30th, 2008, I became an orphan. My dad died. I miss him so much. The ache, the longing is indescribable. Just as people stop asking about it, it gets worse. It's always with me. I am checking out SB's books to see what I can find. They were recommended by a compassionate friend, after a peer of mine died last year. I'm just getting to it.

The book starts out pretty well. I like how Browne explains the differences between variant phenomena. Some things hit home for me. She says that spirits at Home live in their space just three feet above where we are. Could this explain the fact that, after my dad's death, I felt as if I was walking on air? Browne states we have memories of being Home and miss it dearly. Is this why I had a feeing of negotiating space, trying to find out where I fit in the world without my dad here? Was part of me remembering Home, where dad is now living? Who knows.

In later chapters, Browne tells stories. That's fine, the idea of the book. Unfortunately, she digresses into self-indulgent repetitive reporting. Browne is inclined toward telling us about her apathy, lack of self-knowledge and cynicism when is seems unnecessary. It's as if she is trying was too hard to let us know she is not a touchy-feely psychic. Browne also uses a defensive tone at times, too defensive for readers who would choose to pick up this book in the first place.

Here's the main thing I don't get: It seems that according to Sylvia Browne, God brings us Home. You don't have to believe in God, he (yes, he) will still bring you Home. Why does this God have a definitive place in this process, the bible God we have all heard about, in order to go to this Home?

I am an atheist. I don't believe in an afterlife, yet I am open to reading about it. If it does exist, this life everlasting -- if our spirits never are born or never die - just always are - why does it all have to be intertwined with this particular God? Perhaps our guide is simply, and miraculously, an energy field, or some other force we cannot define.

I have had many people close to me die: mom, grandma, grandpa, my friend Rob, my dad. I was with my grandma, grandpa and my dad when they died. I was with Rob the day before he died. Wow. Why was I THERE with all of those people I love so much?

Right before my Grandpa died he kept saying, "I want to go home." I told him he could go home. I know what he meant. He believed in Sylvia's God.

I have had some experiences that make me think our spirits live on. The dreams I had about my mom might have been astral travel, per Sylvia Browne, me visiting my mom at Home. Through dreams, we thoroughly processed our life together, and bridged the gap between earthly existence and another plane. I felt my mom's spirit seep into my body, during a seemingly normal every day moment, bringing completion to our old relationship and a beginning to the new. My daughter saw Rob in our room the morning, an hour or so after, he died. She said, "I can see Rob." She was less than 3 years old at the time. I had a dream about Rob that might have been astral travel. If I acknowledge these happenings does that mean it is linked to God? Can't I have these experiences and still be an atheist? Do I need to acknowledge this God when I die to go Home?

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Visits from the Afterlife.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debi (new)

Debi Hey Cynthia--I am so glad I read your review about SB's book b/c I feel like I know you better now and feel as if I have been let into the experiences you have been having. It sounds like it was cathertic to write and summarize all of these amazing things that have been going on in your life. Thank you for having the courage to share! Love--Debi

message 2: by Jessie (new)

Jessie I'm confused about something. She says we don't have to believe in God to have him bring us home, but if we're atheists, we're screwed and won't be taken home? Huh? That's pretty contradictory.

message 3: by Len (new)

Len Thanks for this review. I was reading in preparation for an upcoming Web-based conference with the Asheville Jung Center on 9/21 titled "Revisioning Death: Alive in the Afrerlife". http://ashevillejungcenter.org/video-...

I was thinking of buying SB's book but your review made me decide to order it from the library and wait and see if I get it before the conference. Thank you for the personal details you included.

Cynthia Hi Debi, I just read what you wrote, as I had seen Len's message come in to my feed, via email. Thanks for reading this review. Cynthia

message 5: by Cynthia (last edited Mar 20, 2014 09:16AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cynthia Hi Len, You're welcome, and thank for reading my review. I might be sending this message twice, as I thought I had written you, but I don't see the message here.
Cynthia

Cynthia Jessie,
I think she is saying that we don't have to believe in her God to be brought home.
Cynthia