Xavier Guillaume's Reviews > Spider-Man Noir

May 13, 2012

bookshelves: graphic-novel
Recommended for: Spider-Man fans, Comic book fans that appreciate Film Noir
Read on May 13, 2012 , read count: 1

I plowed through this book in an hour. I seriously liked it that much. I've been wanting to read Spider-Man Noir for awhile now, ever since playing Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions for the PS3.

This takes place in an alternate universe in 1933, where Peter Parker and Aunt May are socialist activists trying to take a stand and make change. Perhaps too many waves were made because Ben Parker is killed by The Goblin, which utterly changes Peter to be extremely jaded, spiteful, and brooding. Ben Urich then takes Peter under his wing, which eventually leads Peter to becoming the Spider-Man.

I won't spoil what happens, but I love what they do with the traditional villains, like Kraven and the Vulture, and how the artists morph them to fit this Universe. The Vulture is dreadful. I've never seen him/it look as scary. Kraven is kind of meh, but I do think it's interesting where he comes from in this Universe.

Overall, I would give this book 5 stars. This is probably a higher rating than most others would give it, but I extremely liked the character designs, and Spider-Man's Noir costume is kickass! :) Plus I love seeing how the Universe pans out as the portrayals of well-known characters from the original are flipped upside down. I actually had a little inner geek moment when I realized they added Black Cat (Felicia Hardy) in this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spider-Man Noir.