Khairul H.'s Reviews > The Presidents Club: Inside the World's Most Exclusive Fraternity

The Presidents Club by Nancy Gibbs

May 17, 12

bookshelves: history
Read from May 13 to 17, 2012

What touches me most while reading this book is how the former Presidents would assist the man occupying the office at the time regardless of their political leanings. Hoover the Republican helped Truman the Democrat just as Ike advised Kennedy and Clinton became Obama's envoy (okay, they're are on the same side politically but Clinton didn't like Obama taking away the Presidency from his wife Hillary).

It is touching to a Malaysian because I simply do not see that happening in this country. Malaysia has never had a Prime Minister from a different party yet (I'm writing this in mid-2012 when that possibility might just happen) but we have had changes at the State level and Hell would freeze over before an outgoing Chief Minister would advice the incoming one on how to govern the state just because they're from rival parties. Immature, much?

It's not all chummy of course. Nixon and LBJ literally played with lives, both American and Vietnamese, just to one-up the other in the name of power and Ford didn't like Reagan much at first. But overall the former Presidents are more than willing to safeguard their fellow 'frat brother' and guide him through the labyrinthine corridors of power because they've been there and know the tough decisions the President has to make.

Except for Nixon. He just wanted to be loved after Watergate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Presidents Club.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Richard I particularly appreciate your comments, given your perspective as a non-American.