Claire's Reviews > The Daughter of Time

The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey

31973
Mar 19, 2007

bookshelves: my-happy-books, five-stars, mysteries
Recommended for: History nerds and mystery buffs

This book is fantastic. It's a quick read with a witty premise . . . a British detective (the hero of Josephine Tey's mystery series) is cooped up in the hospital after an accident, bored out of his mind, and his friends try to distract him with various projects. He ends up trying to solve the historical mystery of whether Richard III really killed his young nephews, and recruits people to run back and forth to various libraries and art museums and dingy back-alley bookshops to bring him research, and soon, utterly convinced of Richard's innocence, he decides to try and prove all of history wrong. The characters are great and the inspector's rage and frustration when he discovers the factual inaccuracies in all these accounts of Richard's life are eerily familiar to people like me who are endlessly nitpicking historical accuracy in movies and books(don't even get me started on "Troy." Brad Pitt, part of good parenting is not feeding children the world over ludicrous misinformation about the Iliad. I'm just saying.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Daughter of Time.