Miss Clark's Reviews > Deadweather and Sunrise

Sep 12, 12

liked it
bookshelves: adventure, children-s, paranormal
Read on September 07, 2012

** spoiler alert ** First in a series.

Good characters, fantastic main character in Egg, funny writing and some excellent turns of comedic phrasing. Good plot. Loads of adventure. Villainy abounds. I especially liked that the pirates were neither all evil, but far from nice or kindly or misunderstood. Some, like Healy, have their own code and they stick by it, while still being pretty terrifying. Others, like most of the fruit-workers, are just out for the most money and they don't particularly care where it comes from.

My complaints?

#1 Millicent.

Seriously, I understand she loves her father and all, but there comes a point where you have to accept the truth of who another person is regardless of your personal feelings for said person.

#2

13 year-olds falling in love? Wanting to marry? Seriously? Always troublesome for me.

Why was Egg's father so mean to him? Allowing everyone to torment him? His siblings to hurt him and get away with bad behavior that he in turn never could do without punishment? Never being allowed jelly pastries? Was it simply because of his mother's death? Or something else?

Liked Guts.

So, I assume in book two they will be on the mainland having adventures, learning more about the natives and their mythology and the Fist of Ka and finding the treasure, all the while pursued by Millicent's evil, power-hungry father Pembroke?
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadweather and Sunrise.