Penelope Bartotto's Reviews > Vaempires: Revolution

Vaempires by Thomas Winship

May 19, 12

Read in April, 2012

Often I get asked what attracts you to a book..... and I will say my answer varies, but what drew me to this book was the unique title: Vaempires. I spent forever wondering what that tiny e could mean to the story, what did it stand for. My husband said VaEMPIRES, and still insists that is what it stands for, a nd maybe one could actually think that after reading the book.
Yes, I think you should read this book. Most definitely. No matter what the twist in the title means, the story is intriguing and opens you into a different world than the run of the mill vampire story. Right now writing about vampires is a risky decision for an author, in my opinion, at least. The market is flooded with books, graphic novels, television shows, and movies about vampires. Even Dancing with the Stars featured a rather corny dance involving vampires... everywhere you turn the fanged creatures are waiting to attract your attention. So what makes Winship's vampires stand out? They are unique, and they are not alone in their world.
There have been so many versions of vampires in the literary world, it is actually surprising that someone could create a new one, but Winship not only manages that, he creates something even more incredible than a new vampire, he created the vaempire. Even better he is writing about young adults, so I hope that he is marketing this book to the YA readers so that they can be drawn away from some of the more vapid books like Twilight. ( No offense to Stephanie Meyer.) There is great character development here, an exceptional plot, action, suspense, mystery, and even romance.
My only tiny criticism, it seems like the reader is dropped into a frantic event, which can work sometimes, but was a little haphazard this time. No big deal though, as you soon find your direction and understand where the story is going. Looking forward to the next book in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vaempires.