Carla Ford's Reviews > The Orchid House

The Orchid House by Lucinda Riley

F 50x66
May 13, 2012

Read in May, 2012

This wonderful novel is an exploration of the many ways in which we are powerless, or allow ourselves to be powerless, to change the course our lives take. Sometime we have to go a certain direction out of family obligation, or we get started on a path where it is just too hard to turn back. Sometime we turn a blind eye to reality, and live in a world of not quite reality because we are afraid to face the truth. Sometimes we really have no choices, and we do the best we can with what life hands us. The Orchid House shows some of all these situations in the story of Julia Forrester, newly widowed and close to drowning in her grief over the loss of her husband and her young son. When Julia returns to her childhood home to spend some time dealing with her tragedy, she comes across old family diaries that contain stories about Julia's family that have been kept secret for many years. Through these stories, and the learning of some new family history, Julia begins to find the strength she will need to deal with her own future. This was a truly beautiful story of many different kinds of love, and it was told with such poignancy that my heart truly ached for everyone involved, and each character elicited true feelings of compassion. This was a wonderful novel, it just kept me wrapped up in the story through each twist and turn, and there were a lot of twists and turns!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Orchid House.