Sam's Reviews > Fibber in the Heat

Fibber in the Heat by Miles Jupp

M 50x66
May 13, 2012

Miles Jupp's book about blagging his way onto a cricket tour is so quintessentially British it almost demands to be read under an oak tree on a hot June afternoon, glass of Pimms in hand. Its entire premise is whimsical and the text itself keeps up that character with the only interruption to my small chuckles and smiles being the odd roar of laughter when Jupp produces a reflection that wouldn't be out of place in one of his hilarious stand-up routines. The book is not serious in the slightest and shouldn't be read in that manner, it won't be anybody's favourite but you won't find anyone who dislikes it I shouldn't think.

It's not getting 5 stars from me because it lacks a superlative quality - it's simply very humerous and just...well...nice! Like another book I've read about somebody trying to turn themselves into something they're not (Justin Irwin in 'Murder on the Darts Board' - http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32...), it does rely quite a bit on repeated sentiments of worry and self-doubt but its general readability and comic tone means it's not a drag. Would be especially good for those who follow cricket closely.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fibber in the Heat.