Michelle [Helen Geek]'s Reviews > The Opportunist

The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher

May 18, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: tbr-kindle, ntm_authors_2012, 3-star
Recommended to Michelle by: elsa grant - her fav book!
Read from May 17 to 18, 2012

3 Stars

I refuse to give a book that pissed me off so much more than 3 Stars. Needless to say, I had a few issues with this story.

1 -- Very little backstory on the key characters; Caleb and Olivia. We know a bit about their childhood and family history, but very little. We know they are in college in Florida, but where exactly? South Florida, where exactly?
2 -- The selfishness of these two knows no bounds. Olivia is absolutely whacked. She has integrity issues, real trust issues, she strings poor Caleb along. Very immature. She truly see's the world revolve around her.
3 -- Caleb enables this behavior by Olivia. It even gets to the point where her bad behavior creates like behavior in him. These two need counseling in a giganto way. Just terribly miserable people.

I knew when he lost the basketball game just so she would spend some time with him, this was a story of two incredibly selfish and unbalanced people.

It all gets to my sense of fairness and the logic of a story. It was a sensational story, but not terribly well put together and the shock of the actual story was warping.

So, can't say I liked it, but am glad I read it. I am very appreciative of the recommendation and the encouragement to finish this book rather than bury it in the bottom of little Olly's catbox [my marmalade kitty boy].

You may like it much better than I and I hope you do!

Happy Reading?
11 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Opportunist.

05/17/2012
12.0% "On Chapter 3 .. they are on their first date. I'm not sure what it would be like to have a "do over". This little lady seems to have issues with what she wants. She is posing quite the challenge."
05/17/2012
43.0% "I don't think I like this one, but am compelled to continue reading. I think this women is evil. You would say selfish, but she takes it to a manipulation extreme that is evil. I may be wrong, but don't think so. I'm not sure I'll respect her tomorrow..." 1 comment

Leslie Ooohhooo, Michelle...you and me are buddy-ing it!! Yay!!

Michelle [Helen Geek] Yep, just finished the one I was reading and thought, why the heck not. Here I come!!

message 3: by Leslie (last edited May 18, 2012 12:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leslie Uh oh...didn't love it that much, I see. Oh well, I'm so glad you finished it, girl!

Michelle [Helen Geek] I have huge issues with liars. Once I give up on their redemption, all she wrote for me. If you can't have integrity in a relationship where love is bandied about, then where does it go and how do you see this person redeem them self.

The business with the basketball game, and then the whole taking Jessica to the "clinic" - absolutely evil. Just not my cuppa! Strong feeling much?

Leslie Welcome to books like, "Thoughtless" and "Beautiful Disaster".

Hee, Hee...

Michelle [Helen Geek] Yes. This one will be much like those two. Incidently, I loved both of those. They were dysfunctional, but more integrity in the relationship, or maybe I'm just warped!

What are you reading now?

Leslie You're not warped, sweetheart...some books just hit you differently!! I get it!

I am reading "What I Didn't Say" by Keary Taylor. It's good!!

Anne OK Good review, Michelle! And now I have another one to debate whether or not to add to thie TBR list. And thanks to Leslie, another with "What I Didn't Say." It's a neverending saga!

Michelle [Helen Geek] I'm waiting for Les's review of this one. I may have added it, but haven't checked yet. I finishing up a Rachel Gibson and then am going to try a new author - a Hockey story.

I was going to read the P. Clare, but want a lengthier story right now. It does sound so good.

I'm bettin' you will be as conflicted as I with this one.

Anne OK Oh, my curiosity is piqued! That hockey story wouldn't be "One Man Advantage" by Kelly Jemieson, would it? I just added that to my stack today. Someone in my hometown book club gave it a good rec.

Michelle [Helen Geek] No it is called Thin Ice. I'm finishing an R? Gibson right now.

message 12: by Katie (new) - rated it 1 star

Katie Oh Michelle... you are so much nicer than me. You ended your review on a sweet and thoughtful note, I just didn't have it in me. I hated Olivia and Caleb so much I can't believe I read this whole book. I couldn't agree more with your comments about them being selfish and unbalanced people.

Michelle [Helen Geek] Yeah, I just didn't understand all the huge off the charts ratings for utter crapola. Or, to be less nice .. SHIT!

message 14: by Elsa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elsa *pretends she doesn't see and hums*

Anas Attic  Book Blog I'm with you!

Vallsykes The opening line to your review had me smiling because it felt like something that ran across my mind once or twice after reading this. I thought the writing was good, but I did want a little more knowledge about the main characters also. Good review.