Vanessa's Reviews > Nightwing, Vol. 1: Traps and Trapezes

F_50x66
May 14, 12

bookshelves: superhero, modern-age, dc
Read in January, 2012

Overall, I enjoyed this series. Things are a bit slow to really get rolling. I thought the first issue did not have a lot to offer to someone that has been reading about the character for years. Later, the main story for the volume really gets started and this improve greatly. I like the idea of a story exploring Dick's past and his connection to Haley's Circus. The art is generally average. I do not really like how Eddy Barrows draws Nightwing fighting. I enjoyed the issue that Trevor McCarthy and Guy Major did quite a bit more.

Kyle Higgins writes all of the characters very well. In this and Batman: Gates of Gotham, he really shows a good understanding of all the members of the Bat Family. I particularly like Issue #4. Barbara Gordon and Nightwing are both in Miami, so they team up to take on a new villain. While they do talk a little about their previous relationship, they mostly just act like good friends.

The biggest reason that I would recommend picking up this volume is because I have very high hopes for the Night of Owls event. This volume felt mostly like it was setting the stage for the next. I think that the last issue that is included in this volume is one of the best single issues so far in the New 52. I thought the change in art styles between the main action and the flashbacks was very effective. I enjoyed a lot of the dialogue also.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightwing, Vol. 1.