Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru's Reviews > Kiss of Death

Kiss of Death by Rachel Caine

May 13, 2012

bookshelves: hawt-heroes, mello-s-may-challenge, sassy-heroines, supernatural, urban-fantasy, vamps, ya, paranormal-romance
Read on May 16, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

It is definitely impossible for me to stop enjoying this series. I can't even figure out why I love it, but man do I love it.

In this book, Claire was freakin' bad ass! I do hope she keeps that up!

So, the gang sets out on a road trip, with Oliver in tow, to Dallas so that Michael can record a demo. Only, this turns out to be the worst road trip ever. Even when they aren't in Morganville, these guys get into life or death trouble. First, they get harassed and nearly killed by humans in a small town Oliver forces them to stop off in. Then, they almost get busted because Claire and Shane get busted making out in the car by a cop. Next, while chilling in a motel, the earlier humans bash and torch Eve's car. Then, they get arrested because there's a dead body and the new people were the last to see him alive. Finally, if all that hadn't sucked to holy high hell, Morley shows up, breaks them out of prison and puts them on his blood bus as snacks.

Of course, that isn't the end of things. They end up in an even smaller town that is infested with sick vamps. Turns out, that's the reason Oliver was sent out as their little chaperone. While in this small town, all craziness ensues and Claire morphs into a serious bad ass chick and seemed to earn Oliver's respect. She's always had her moments throughout the series, but she showed huge stones here and I was so proud of her!

As with all of their awful situations, the problem gets solved and a new vampville is established and Morley becomes the unwilling new Amelie for this town. Hah! That's what he gets for trying to run from Morganville!

The gang and Oliver do eventually make it to Dallas and Michael gets to record his demo. They have a great time with no worries for a while, only to be confronted by Amelie via Oliver on the last night informing them that they MUST return to Morganville. They'd been contemplating making a run for it, but Claire didn't want to leave her parents. Either way, Amelie made it perfectly clear that there would be no running, so, not entirely happily, they all end up back in Morganville. The most shocking part is what Oliver said after the phone call was over. Never would have expected that from him.

And now I plow right on to book 9!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of Death.

05/16/2012
34.0% "It appears that this road trip was a bad idea. The Morganvillers are already fairing quite poorly outside of it and now everyone is mad at each other."
05/16/2012
40.0% "Wtf?! This is the worst road trip ever!"
05/16/2012
75.0% "This really, really is the worst road trip ever. Stay your asses in Morganville next time, guys."