Shelter Somerset's Reviews > Interview with the Vampire

Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice

May 13, 2012

Those of us who appreciate Anne Rice's writing style don't come to her books seeking penetrating plots or profound characters. We read them for the same reason why we subdue the lights and curl up on the couch with a glass of ice cold zinfandel and a box of chocolates. It's intoxicatingly delicious. First published in 1976, IWTV lures the reader into an ecstatic dream state. From the first pages, we're drawn into a world of dull yellow flickering candlelight and glistening blood-red Bordeaux. But don't misunderstand. Rice weaves a compelling--and at the time, rather unique--plot.

The entire novel is set off in quotation marks--the vampire Louis's voice as he recounts his tale to the disbelieving young human reporter. Louis, desperate to reconnect with his former mortal world, a world taken from him by his vampire "father" Lestat, risks revealing his secret if only to taste mortality again. Louis loathes Lestat for giving him immortality, yet he cannot conquer his thirst for the fresh kills to sustain it. Claudia, the novel's doll-like woman child, perhaps represents Rice's real-life deceased daughter. Rice once said she wrote IWTV to raise her daughter from the dead. Louis, Lestat, and Claudia form a dysfunctional family of sorts. "Claudia and Her Two Daddies" if you will, with two feuding vampire same-sex parents traveling from city to city to drink the blood of unwary mortals.

There is no surprise that the vampire family resembles a gang of desperate drug addicts roaming the darkened streets. No matter how desperately they would like to, they cannot shake their habit. Ironically, Anne Rice's writing settles over us like a kind of opium fog, intoxicating us until we demand more. And by the end, we're as unsure as Louis. Would we rather live trapped in darkness for all eternity like a gang of thieves or struggle through our shockingly short mortal lives?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Interview with the Vampire.

04/07/2016 marked as: read