Alison's Reviews > The Unthinkable: Who Survives When Disaster Strikes - and Why

The Unthinkable by Amanda Ripley

May 13, 12

Read in May, 2012

Highly recommend to everyone (especially those people who think they would react well in a disaster, but really, everyone). Sure, this covers plane crashes and mass shootings and the World Trade Center attacks of both 1993 and 2001, but the behaviors studied also apply in the "little" disasters, like house fires. Every time I've faced a crisis situation, I've reacted calmly and coolly, but would I really know exactly what to do if woken from a deep slumber at 2:30 a.m. by our smoke alarms? I thought I would, until I read this book, and then I realized that my escape plan - and my plan for rescuing my toddler in the case of a house fire - relied on assumptions that I had never tested and that, because of the layout of our house, the path between me and my son would probably be impassible. Time to come up with new plans - and test them.

This book is fascinating without being salacious, well-researched and documented, and very well-written.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unthinkable.