Renee's Reviews > Feathers for Lunch

F_50x66
May 13, 12

bookshelves: paw, story-class-optionsprek
Read in May, 2012

Summary: An escaped housecat encounters twelve birds in the back yard butfails to catch any of them and has to eat feathers for lunch.

Good for whole book approach. Lots of different elements that could be the focus. Short text but so many things going on! When I read this last week, I don't think I really had the one focus in mind and my reading could have been improved if I did. But sometimes the kids notice other things and want to talk about them which is good. There is just so many elements in this book that it can really stretch longer than expected. Don't be fooled by its short length!

Wrap Around Jacket

noticing the words "jingle, jingle" on each page. What is that from? (the cat's bell on his collar)

Why can't we see the cat on some pages but can still read/hear jingle jingle. (the cat is walking on the ground but the illustration shows us the birds up in the trees higher up)

Notice the feathers falling - one on each page. Also one on cover - My niece said it looked like the cat's nose. I didn't even notice it!

The book also identifies the birds and plants on each page. The birds usually have a sound that they are making.

At the end of the book, the author lists the Lunch That Got Away with facts about each bird.

Themes: birds, cats

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feathers for Lunch.