Sezin Koehler's Reviews > Petals on the Wind

Petals on the Wind by V.C. Andrews

May 17, 12

bookshelves: american-monsters-2-research, american-monsters-4-marilyn, crime, horror, tales-of-survivors
Read from May 15 to 17, 2012, read count: 2

This is an amazing account of how a child abuse survivor goes on with her life. Not just her, but her surviving siblings.

Disturbing, uncomfortable, often downright painful to read, but sort of exactly what you'd imagine would happen to a young woman (and her brother and sister) who was not only locked in an attic for three years and five months but who was also poisoned -- by her freaking MOTHER!

I've survived a lot in my life, though nothing like that, and so as much as I didn't agree with her choices (save for that of revenge) I couldn't fault her for anything she did or any of the future horrors that awaited her, which she dealt with as a PTSD sufferer and abuse survivor would do.

The revenge scenes were some of the best since Kill Bill and The Crow. It's a shame when they made the film they decided not to incorporate the sheer badassness Cathy Dollanganger invokes when punishing her surviving captors, the f*cking b*tches.

Usually I am not satisfied with revenge in art. I always feel it should be more dramatic, last longer, make the revengee suffer for the rest of their lives, like at the end of the original Cape Fear. (Truth be told, this is one of my issues with all the revenge in my first American Monsters installment: Revenge comes too quick in many cases. But not to worry, I've still got much up my sleeve for the next books. Especially Book V, the one about Marilyn Monroe.)

I haven't read the Flowers in the Attic series since I was in middle school, and I am absolutely captivated. It's amazing to me that this was considered young adult fiction back in the 80s and 90s! The Hunger Games is so tame in comparison. For real.

If you read this series as a teen or pre-teen, I highly recommend picking these up again now that you're older. So intense, man.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Petals on the Wind.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

honeybee just started re-reading them all again myself, totally agree!