Hilda's Reviews > Spectral

Spectral by Shannon Duffy

Jul 02, 2014

bookshelves: arc, young-adult, magic
Read from May 13 to 17, 2012

Spectral starts off with Jewel’s family moving in to other town. Jewel’s family moves a lot and she gets tired with all the new schools, new friends, and new names. She is convinced that her family is in some kind of witness protection program so she never asks much question about the whole moving thing.

In this new town, Jewel’s false name is True. She quickly makes friends with a very bubbly girl named Taylor and Chase, the guy who seems interested to her. Jewel tries not to get her hopes up, but maybe her family will stop moving and settle down in this new town. However, strange things start happening. Her encounter with Roman, a new guy who surprisingly knows her true name, makes her questioning everything her family has told her. Roman claims to be her guardian, but which one she should trust: the parents who raised her or the guy who is ready to give her answers to everything her family has kept from her?

I enjoyed Spectral despite some flaws in this book. The story keeps me engaged and the writing is very easy to follow. I can understand Jewel’s shock upon her discovery. I found myself putting the puzzles in Jewel’s mystery too. The story gets even more interesting once Jewel is in Russian. And later, Italy! I love that she’s brave enough to explore the truth about herself.

I am swooned over the love interest in this story, Roman. Roman, with his gentle, protective, and somehow sexy ways, manages to capture my heart. I think I would fall over heels if someone ever calls me his butterfly. I guess Roman is supposed to be the bad boy while Chase is the safe, good ol’ guy, but I can hardly find any bad guy aspect in Roman. Sure, he has a fair amount of mystery required for a bad boy, but other than that, I think he’s a good guy with cute grin and funny lines.

Spectral is a great book that is worth a shot, especially for those who enjoy stories about witchcraft. I’m really hoping that Shannon Duffy would make this a series because I’d love to see Jewel explores more about her new power. Plus, more Roman, please!

A multi-colored butterfly suddenly fluttered down from the ceiling landing on my fingers laced around the coffee cup. I gasped, but didn’t move. Glancing up at the ceiling, I whispered in awe, “Where did that come from?”

Roman’s lips twisted into a grin as he gazed down at it, and then back into my eyes. He raised one shoulder. “One butterfly always knows another.”

Read other reviews in my blog! :)
Catch the Lune
Catch the Lune
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spectral.