Shannel's Reviews > Zoe Letting Go

Zoe Letting Go by Nora Price

May 25, 2012

bookshelves: heartstrings, quick-reads
Read from May 13 to 16, 2012

I won this advanced copy from Good Reads.

I’m not sure how I want to compile my thoughts for this book. There was such a presence of underlying sadness that just resonated with me.

Zoe finds herself at Twin Birch, a secluded home for girls battling issues. She’s told she’s finally somewhere that can help her, but the problem is, she doesn’t think she needs help.

Forced into treatment for anorexia, Zoe uses all of her energy to find out why she’s really at Twin Birch. Coping with her separation from her old life (both physically and electronically), she writes to her best friend Elise. When her letters start going unanswered, Zoe increases her efforts, only finding that answers aren’t easy to come by.

“When you have a small group of friends—or no friends except for one other person—twenty minutes is the precise length of time it takes to become achingly reacquainted with your loneliness.”

Even after giving it time, I don’t think I could adequately explain why I loved this book so much. There was just something so real about Zoe’s pain and internal conflict. While as readers we knew why she was being treated, Zoe continued to struggle with the overlap of what is real and what isn’t.

This was such an emotional read. You got to watch Zoe work her way through her treatment and you rooted for her the entire time.

“We’re destined to look foolish and make mistakes. We grow old and end up looking like wrinkly babies. Our mistakes don’t have to be failures.”

Given the option, I would recommend this to everyone. A quick, emotional read that will be sure to leave you questioning…everything.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zoe Letting Go.

05/16 page 170
59.0% "This is definitely interesting."
07/03 marked as: read

message 1: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura That was a powerful review, Shannel. Wonderful. I have a hard time reading books on anorexia, but I might pick this one up now. Thank you.
p.s. Congrats on the win! :) I never win anything! Haha…