Dawn's Reviews > Love Finds You in Mackinac Island, Michigan

Love Finds You in Mackinac Island, Michigan by Melanie Dobson

May 13, 2012

Read from July 05 to 07, 2012

Again, I’m going to start this post out with a list of confessions. First of all, Melanie Dobson is a completely new author to me. Secondly, I’ve never read one of the “Love Finds You” books before, although I am friends with a few authors who have written a some of them. And thirdly, I don’t think I’ve ever read a book published by Summerside Press. So… as always when I do such daring things, I hoped for the best and dove right in.

I love reading a really good book. And I especially love reading a really good historical romance that takes place during the Gilded Age. It’s what I’ve been called to write myself and it makes me so happy to see the subgenre take off as it has in the last few years. Oh, and in case you were wondering… Love Finds You in Mackinac Island Michigan delivered on both counts.

I flew through this book once I started it. I couldn’t put it down. The writing, the characters and the setting all made me want to keep reading and reading. EVEN THOUGH the hero and heroine did not meet until page 140… which was roughly about halfway through. It kind of made me impatient at times, but it did nothing to make me like the book less.

It was a little creepy that the premise was much like the next book I have on the docket to write. But as always, when this seems to happen, I remind myself that a dozen writers can go about writing the same premise in a dozen completely differing ways… and that mine would be from first person point of view. I also remind myself that, since this happens often, I must be good at thinking up the kinds of stories that sell. Which is not a bad thing to consider.

The only thing I would have changed about this book… besides having the hero and heroine meet so late in the book… is their amount of time together before deciding they were in love with one another. I know it isn’t impossible for two people to fall in love in two meetings that consisted of eight hours’ time, but I would have liked to see more of their time spent together. But again, this wasn’t enough to keep me from adoring the book.

I will definitely be looking into reading more of Melanie Dobson’s books in the near future.

I would like to thank Litfuse Publicity for giving me a free paperback copy of Melanie Dobson’s Love Finds You in Mackinac Island Michigan in exchange for my honest opinion in this writer’s review. I give this book 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Finds You in Mackinac Island, Michigan.

07/05/2012 page 107
07/05/2012 page 149
47.0% "Wow, that was a long time to wait for hero and heroine to meet... but I still like the book. A lot."
show 1 hidden update…

Dawn I'm reading this book for a Litfuse blog tour taking place from July 17th to August 4th. I've been trying to read more of those "new-to-me" authors... because pretty soon I'll need others to do the same for me. ;)

Katie I'll be first in line to read yours!! :-D