Shaina's Reviews > A Discovery of Witches

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

May 28, 2012

bookshelves: favorites
Read from May 16 to 28, 2012

Let me start by saying that I love books that cause me to look beyond things that I am familiar with, and A discovery of witches definitely does that. I found myself researching things that she wrote and connecting fact and fiction and what was just an overall wonderful novel. I myself am in the process of writing a book about magic and otherworldly creatures and I had to stop my own writing so I could finish this. The fact that the author is actually a historian (and has written two history books) makes the book that much more appealing to me.

The story---
The story was amazing and I have very few complaints. Let’s start with the positives:
1-The love story is just what every girl loves and the vampire is hot. Nothing like an overly protective Vamp pawing all over you! Oh how I wish
2-The facts were wonderful
3-The characters were rich and easy to identify with
4-The book is a “can’t put this down” kind of book
5- I am in love with LONGGGGGGG books

Ok so there are a bunch more but I shant ruin the plot for you
As far as the negatives go, there are only a few:

1- For such an intelligent woman she sure did have plenty of times where I wanted to slap her. She has moments where she is extremely naïve and childish and you think to yourself “Really?? You are a grown ass woman, get it together”
2- There are a few parts that are a bit wordy. Just a few. Lots and lots of details. I liked MOST of it, but sometimes it was just a bit unnecessary. But what can you expect from a historian
3- Lastly, they fell in love too damn quick for me. How realistic is a THAT. Give me a little more time so it seems more apt to happen in real life.

So there you have it. 5 stars all the way and SOOOOOOOOOO getting ready to preorder the sequel. I hope there are 4 or 5 more books in this line!

05/16/2012 page 30
5.0% "I am reading the book on a PDF right now until the actual book comes tomorrow so I dont know what page I am really on, but I am truly loving it so far. Might have to start looking into anthropology!"
05/18/2012 page 109
19.0% "It's starting off really good. I think I Will be finished within the week. Loving the feeling of holding a book in my hand again. My nook charger is broken so its all books until I Can get it fixed. Anyway, loving it!"
05/19/2012 page 130
22.0% "Ok, I can't put it down now :/"
05/19/2012 page 217
37.0% "OMG!!! I am actually trying not to read too fast because I Want to stretch the goodness lol. Whatever will I do!?"
05/23/2012 page 400
69.0% "Completely in love with the book. I am sure I will finish it in the next 3 days. Hopefully my other book will be here by then."