Thea Silayro's Reviews > Social Suicide

Social Suicide by Gemma Halliday

May 13, 12

If you've read Deadly Cool and liked it, then you might just like this too. If you've read Deadly Cool and wasn't exactly gobsmacked by it, I doubt this book will interest you. The thing is, Deadly Cool and Social Suicide are alike in so many ways.

In this book, Hartley continues her "Nancy Drew" escapades. She hears of the death of a popular cheerleader in school via electrocution. Everybody thinks it's suicide, but Hartley doesn't think so. Her detective instincts lead her to the belief that it was actually not suicide, but Twittercide- a homicide while the victim was tweeting. The story basically revolves around Hartley solving this mystery..finding out who the killer is, having so many suspects when in the end, the killer comes out as someone quite unexpected.

To be honest, I kind of predicted the killer's idenity, though. What I was trying to find out in the course of reading the book was what could the motives for the murder be. However, even after I read the book and even after the motives were explicitly discussed villain style (you know, the suspect says all his reasons before he kills the kilee), I still didn't get WHY. The murder, like in Deadly Cool, is brought about by really shallow and weak motivations.

Again, this is a light read. It sort of reminds me of Kim Possible. Younger people might be more interested in it than I was. I have to say, though, I liked Chase's character. If this book becomes a movie, he'd definitely be Tyler Blackburn. And I like Tyler!

Overall, Social Suicide was an okay, mediocre, not-so-good/not-so-bad read. :)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Social Suicide.