Jessica's Reviews > The Truth About Forever

The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen

May 24, 12

bookshelves: 2012, chick-lit, young-adult
Read from May 22 to 24, 2012

With every page, I had to convince myself more and more not to put this book down; that somewhere along the way, it would pick up and I'd enjoy it. That never happened.

I love YA. I enjoy Nicholas Sparks a lot. Sarah Dessen strikes me as being a cross between the two, and based on what I've read, I'm not wrong. It boggles my mind that I don't like her writing style as much. Where did things go wrong?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Truth About Forever.

Quotes Jessica Liked

Sarah Dessen
“I have to admit, an unrequited love is so much better than a real one. I mean, it's perfect... As long as something is never even started, you never have to worry about it ending. It has endless potential.”
Sarah Dessen, The Truth About Forever

Sarah Dessen
“That was the hard thing about grief, and the grieving. They spoke another language, and the words we knew always fell short of what we wanted them to say.”
Sarah Dessen, The Truth About Forever

05/22/2012 page 40
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Towner I think it is very interesting that you enjoy books by Nicholas Sparks, but disliked this book by Sarah Dessen. After reading The Rescue by Sparks and The Truth About Forever by Dessen, I noticed a lot of similarities between the writing style of the two authors and the overall plot line of their books. The most striking resemblance between the writing style of the authors would be the predictability of their books and single dimension of their characters, although I do feel that Sparks develops his characters a little more. I came away with a better overall understanding of Denise (the protagonist from The Rescue) than I did of Macy (the protagonist from The Truth about Forever). I understood that Macy was grieving the loss of her father, but that was really the only dimension to her character that Dessen allowed the reader to see.

A plot-line resemblance for both novels is that a main character suffered the tragic loss of a parent. Macy, in The Truth About Forever, and Taylor, in The Rescue, have deep regrets about their fathers' death and believe that if they had done things differently, their fathers would still be alive. Coincidentally, the plot line was contrived and ultimately predictable in both novels.