Darin Ramsey's Reviews > Axis

Axis by Robert Charles Wilson

May 13, 12

bookshelves: modern-sf
Read in May, 2012

This book reminds me, in unfortunate ways, of Greg Bear's Eternity. I really enjoyed Eon, and was happy about there being a sequel... which then had almost nothing connected to the first book. Axis eventually drops in a couple of lines to let you know what happened to Tyler and Diane after Spin, but we're pretty much meeting people utterly unconnected to that first book.
This is a problem for me because it's very difficult to do well. The Foundation Trilogy manages to skip like a stone across the decades and centuries because it does it from the beginning; Speaker for the Dead keeps the characters we love at the center. Greg Bear's other duology, The Forge of God and Anvil of Stars (which I always thought needed a third book, with a title like Hammer of... something. Angels? Space? Time? anyway...) manages the trick very well, even though the only character that continues in the second book is the son of one of the main characters in the first book.
Wow, how did I get way out here in left field? The point is, I kept reading because I love the idea of the Hypotheticals, and the millennia needed to fire the synapses, so to speak. Even the motivator for the protagonist, Lise, in the mystery of what happened to her father, never became important to me.
I'm sure I'll read Vortex, eventually, but it's not in the top ten of my to-read list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Axis.