Kristin's Reviews > Bimbos of the Death Sun

May 13, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: mystery, science-fiction, fantasy
Read from May 12 to 14, 2012

A light, fun, and entertaining murder mystery set at a fantasy convention that melded both genres quite nicely. Definitely not a "serious" read. Having been to scifi conventions, I could totally picture the setting and the cast of characters. If you haven't had the experience of a scifi or fantasy convention, it's pretty much like the book. The tongue in cheek references, character portrayals, activities, hucksters room were pretty spot on. Now this was written when computers were just starting to go mainstream, so the book is dated a bit technology wise, but not a detraction in my opinion.

If you need a book for vacation, a plane ride, or have some waiting ahead of you, this would be a great pick. Read and be entertained.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bimbos of the Death Sun.

message 1: by Gail (new)

Gail Now I'm going to have to disagree with you. This book didn't strike me, at least past the first reading, as light or funny, it seemed like the girlfriend who had nothing but contempt for the fans was the authorial voice. And I've been going to cons since the 80s, and never seen the LARP stuff at the end. Maybe I've just been going to the wrong cons.

message 2: by Gail (new)

Gail Oh, and the girlfriend character sneering at the sword & sorcery guy in favor of Marion Zimmer Bradley? Squick me out. Ish, ish, ish.

Kristin No, not for everyone, but I enjoyed it for the entertainment value. Much like Gamera vs Mothera, not a lot of substance but a mindless enough way to spend a couple of hours zoning.

I thought the LARP stuff at the end was an interesting and unique way to wrap up the murder mystery. While LARP may not have been at Dr. Who Conventions, Minicon, or Icon, perhaps they were more prevelent on the Coasts or at something like Gencon back in the 80's?

Jeffrey I think this book is set forth in Rye New York at Lunacon. The hotel descriptions are dead on. While I may not agree with everything said, its clear that she captured a lot of the convention stuff well I liked its tongue and cheekiness. Not great - but fun