Peggy Bird's Reviews > Unprotected Texts: The Bible's Surprising Contradictions About Sex and Desire

Unprotected Texts by Jennifer Wright Knust

May 28, 2012

Read from May 13 to 28, 2012

Everyone who uses the phrase, "but the Bible says" should be required to read this book. The author, an ordained pastor and assistant professor of religion who holds a doctorate in religion and a master of divinity, points out that almost any position on matters sexual can be bolstered by what's actually in the Bible. After discussing all sorts of contradictions and differing interpretations on celibacy, sex before or during marriage, multiple marriages and bodily fluids (just to name a few subjects) she says, in the conclusion, that when she teaches on this subject she always asks what the students want to Bible to say. Because, she says, whatever we wish for, we can probably find. We are not "passive recipients of what the Bible says, but active interpreters who make decisions about what we will believe and what we will affirm." She adds that early followers of Jesus knew they were interpreting scriptures, a creative act. We seem to have forgotten that. She hasn't and has written a book that proves it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unprotected Texts.