Susan's Reviews > Titanic Ashes

Titanic Ashes by Paul  Butler

May 13, 12

Read on May 13, 2012

This is a short, but moving, novel about an evening at the Palm Room at the Ritz in 1925, when the people at two tables become aware of each other. At one is Bruce J Ismay and his daughter Evelyn. At the other are Mr and Mrs Grimsden, their daughter Miranda and the young man she is to marry. Thirteen years ago Mrs Grimsden and her daughter Miranda, who was only ten at the time, were first class passengers on Titanic's maiden voyage.

Told from the point of view of Miranda, Evelyn and Bruce Ismay, the novel flashbacks over the past, to "the knot at the centre of all their lives". This is a story of acceptance, shame, forgiveness and responsibility. Although, at first, the two tables become aware of each other with part shock and part embarrassment, the end of the evening will change many of their point of views about what happened on that fateful night which has stayed with them all. I was pleasantly surprised by this book, which has taken a real character in Mr Ismay and given him a voice. If you are interested in reading more about what happened to Mr Ismay, you might enjoy How to Survive the Titanic or The Sinking of J. Bruce Ismay.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Titanic Ashes.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margaret (new) - added it

Margaret Girl I'm going to get you for not shooting me a recommendation! LOL! But seriously, I missed this one in my numerous "listopia" searches on Titanic books. Adding it now. :)

Susan Came across this in the Historical Novels Review, which had an article on Titanic fiction. I never saw this before either, but if they have anything else good I will put it on the group bookshelf. x

message 3: by Margaret (new) - added it

Margaret I don't know about you but I can't help but feel so sorry for Ismay! I understand he was flawed and I understand people were angry that he got into the lifeboat while so many women and children died (even though he got in after no one else climbed aboard) *but* the way he was treated by the whole world just wasn't right and besides, they got their revenge; he died a recluse. Congratulations, general public.

Susan In a moment your reputation is ruined. I think he realised how it would look as soon as he stepped in the boat, he just looked it logically and everyone else looked at it emotionally.