Melanie's Reviews > Twined

Twined by A.L. Collins

Jun 05, 12

Read in May, 2012

A.L. Collins first brought us into a fantasy world in Bastion - Prequel to War and then he made us smile in his motivational and feel-good YA debut, Scarlett's. What does he have in store for us now with Twined? A supernatural novel for young adults. But don't be mistaken, this is not a vampire or werewolf story. Oh no! A.L. Collins has created a unique new world where supernatural beings seek a human in order to survive past their teens. I won't tell you more about it. I'll let you guys discover it for yourselves.

It all starts with a flashback to Avalin's eleventh birthday. What promised to be a fun birthday full of surprises and friends turned out to be a nightmare. None of her friends showed up and her schizophrenic mother murdered a woman. Now in the present day, Avalin starts hearing voices and seeing unimaginable things. She fears she might be turning out exactly like her mother. Albert seems to understand what she is going through but Avalin senses something's not right with the new guy. Avalin discovers a whole new world and realizes that maybe she isn't crazy after all, neither was her mother.

Avalin is a very strong young woman. Her story and voice captivated me from the beginning. The author managed to really mirror the thoughts and dialogue of a teenage girl. She's smart and not afraid to say what's on her mind. She's a bit depressed and whiny in the beginning but who can blame her? Every character, even the supernatural ones, seem very real and could be your next-door neighbors. Albert is an intriguing character from the start but we quickly realize that he will stop at nothing to protect Avalin. He's also very respectful and sweet. Twined has a lot of fun characters and some will definitely surprise you.

The plot has enough action and mystery to make this a one-sitting read. The supernatural aspects of the book are new and well-thought of. There's a major cliffhanger at the end. Book #2 won't come out soon enough for me!

Overall, Twined is a unique read by an author you need to keep an eye on.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twined.

05/25/2012 page 48