Heidi's Reviews > The Man in the Brown Suit

The Man in the Brown Suit by Agatha Christie

This is part of a group of books that Agatha wrote early in her career. The detectives were not Hercule or Miss M., but a series of young, witty, Evelyn Waugh types from post World War I England who solved mysteries as amateurs. I loved them all. Unlike Hercule, these flappers and their male cohorts got into real trouble, were threatened with death at several points, traveled to foreign countries (as in this one), and were witty all the way through. In this tale, Anne Beddingfield (sp) travels to South Africa and gets into all kinds of scrapes, and of course solves the mystery, which revolves, as I recall, around diamonds. As always, the resolution of the mystery was a complete surprise. A delight.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man in the Brown Suit.

TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez I love Agatha Christie, but I have to admit, I'm mostly in love with her Miss Marple books. I just adore Miss Marple and St. Mary Meade. But this sounds good, too. I like the flappers and their male cohorts getting into trouble. It sounds like fun.

Heidi Try it, see if you like it. I read these as a teenager in Europe and I liked that there was a romance mixed in with the mystery. (Not TOO much romance with Miss Marple.) I think my favorite of these adventures, as I call them, is "The Secret of Chimneys", which takes place in a fantastic old english mansion. Titled folks, royalty from small Balkan states, spies, and lots of kippers and kidney (yuck!) for breakfast.

TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez Oh, that sounds like a terrific book, Heidi. I'll look for it and try it. It sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks! :)