Suz's Reviews > Slightly Scandalous

Slightly Scandalous by Mary Balogh

May 15, 12

bookshelves: historical, romance
Read from May 13 to 15, 2012

3.5 to 4 stars. This one was good, quite good, and I laughed through it a lot and enjoyed it. The hero was a likeable rake. Although I did not actively dislike Freyja as much as I thought I might when I first met her in A Summer to Remember, I must admit that I didn't have much sympathy for her. I understand that she is young and proud, and I even felt a great deal of empathy for her on many fronts. I did not, however, feel too many heartstrings pulled for her situation as I recognized it as largely self-made due to her pride. Much of her earlier heart breaks were caused by her unwillingness to just clearly state what she felt and wanted to the people that needed to hear it, one way or the other. And so she spent years pining for something that couldn't be because she never took the trouble to clarify herself to begin with.

As they say, pain in life is inevitable but suffering is optional.

Even so, I laughed a lot in this installment and enjoyed the ride a great deal. I found I did not experience quite the level of indignation at the villain of the piece as I have in previous installments. I'm not sure if it's because I've read them back to back and therefore am becoming desensitized or if it just didn't pull me emotionally quite as much as the others. Still, it was an enjoyable ride over all that I have no complaints of.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slightly Scandalous.