Eva Dillner's Reviews > Girl in Translation

Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok

May 13, 12

It started out a bit slow, but became more and more fascinating. I think I would have enjoyed the book more as a biography/memoir since so much of the story is the author's own experience and it's written in a first person narrative. I did find some of it hard to believe, but without spoiling the story, I can't tell you about it here. Since I also moved to the US at a young age, fourteen, I found a few parallels in the not understanding the codes. No matter if we move far or only a short distance, the cultural codes, the unspoken rules, can vary immensely, and noone hands you a handbook.

Wrapping up the story came after a skip of many years. Perhaps it would have been better to leave us where the original story ended. We authors try to hard sometimes to gather all the pieces together. But all in all a good read. Would make a really good book for dsicussion groups, it raises a lot of topics that would benefit from a good airing.

The book is a testimony of what is possible against the worst odds, and in that it's inspiring.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl in Translation.