Sunny's Reviews > Liberating Lacey

Liberating Lacey by Anne Calhoun

Aug 28, 14

bookshelves: own, reviews, lendable, rt-2014-books
Read from May 12 to 13, 2012

4.5 stars. What an unexpected delight.

Lacey Meyers
Hunter Anderson

There is a bakery near my house that has hands-down the best chocolate cake in the world. It is decadent, but not overly so. It is rich and satisfying. There was a time where I was going there twice a week to get a taste of that cake. It was simply irresistable.

This book reminds me of that cake. It is a standout in a crowded romance field. The story is compelling, the characters have depth, the emotions run hot and there is sizzling chemistry, and it is well-written!

Lacey Meyers is a 36 year old, recently divorced, successful businesswoman who has lived the picture-perfect life with relatively little drama until her husband walked out. She is looking to experience a little more from life, a little more than having sex from the missionary position for the last 15 years. She finds Hunter at the hot bar in town. Hunter is a 28 year old police officer and experienced “player”. He takes up the challenge to help Lacey experience many of her “firsts.” What neither of them realized at the time is that no matter how they try to keep it “just about sex", intimacy can grow unexpectedly.

Lacey is incredibly likeable and relatable character. She is confident, funny, loving, and not overly dramatic. And because of her maturity and self-esteem, she is NOT needy. She doesn’t overly lament her divorce and she is ready to move on. Though she does have doubts in this relationship, it does not stop her from living her life. Her life does not stop because a guy does not call. She is attractive both to Hunter (and the reader) because she knows who she is.

On the surface, Hunter exudes confidence and command presence. But underneath, he has his own concerns about differences in their age, and their social and economic status. It is interesting to watch how his self-doubt impacts this relationship.

There is a level of authenticity to this story. Lacey and Hunter balance each other well. This is not so much insta-love. The story takes place over several months. It is a story of discovery. It is not overly done - meaning, it doesn’t rely on forced, contrived situations to up the drama level.

Some have compared it to Fifty Shades. I consider it the next level of emotional maturity (and although the sex scene are hot, it doesn’t have much BDSM) . Consider it Fifty+.

Rich. Emotionally satisfying. Simply irresistible. Period.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Liberating Lacey.

Quotes Sunny Liked

Anne Calhoun
“Last time I checked, women didn’t come with expiration dates.”
Anne Calhoun, Liberating Lacey

05/12/2012
40.0% "OH, BOY"
05/12/2012
49.0% 1 comment
05/13/2012
71.0% "OMG! YIKES. Another reason not to handle a restroom doornob"
05/13/2012
98.0% "Well, that was an unexpected delight."

Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* . Thanks for recommending this one to me. I added it to my TBR list.. sounds awesome!!

~ Becs ~ Great review Sunny and I want some of that cake!

Magda Love your review.

Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* . LOVE your review.. makes me want to push it up on my TBR list.. lol...

Sunny Inspired by a great book. Hope you enjoy it!

Blacky *Romance Addict* Great review Sunny!

Sunny Blacky wrote: "Great review Sunny!"

Thanks, Blacky. So glad you liked the book!