Deirdre's Reviews > Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You: A Novel

Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You by Peter Cameron

May 12, 12

It took me only three days to read this 228 page book and three days to fall in love with Peter Cameron, but only a couple paragraphs to fall in love with James Sveck, the eighteen year old protagonist of the story. James is an antisocial, intellectual, anti-conformist, socially anxious high school graduate whose recent panic attack and a disdain for people his own age leave him questioning whether he really wants to go to college in the fall. Add to his social issues his parents’ recent decision that he see a psychiatrist and his deceitful plot to attract the attention of John, his 33 year old co-worker, and the reader gets a deep and hilarious glimpse into the workings of his mind. James, who is convinced that speaking to people does not convey his thoughts as eloquently as simply thinking them, narrates his own story beautifully, and endears the reader to him and his sharp wit to such an extent that I would gladly spend money on any sequel if the reading world should be lucky enough for Peter Cameron to write one. But perhaps what drew me to James more than anything else were his views on therapy, social interactions, and language which seemed on many levels to reflect my own. This is a book I would highly recommend and will likely read again soon.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You.