Kari Anderson's Reviews > Flowertown

Flowertown by S.G. Redling

Jun 17, 12

Read from May 12 to 20, 2012

From Goodreads.com:
When Feno Chemical spilled an experimental pesticide in rural Iowa, scores of people died. Those who survived contamination were herded into a US Army medically maintained quarantine and cut off from the world. Dosed with powerful drugs to combat the poison, their bodies give off a sickly sweet smell and the containment zone becomes known simply as Flowertown.

Seven years later, the infrastructure is crumbling, supplies are dwindling, and nobody is getting clean. Ellie Cauley doesn’t care anymore. Despite her paranoid best friend’s insistence that conspiracies abound, she focuses on three things: staying high, hooking up with the Army sergeant she’s not supposed to be fraternizing with and, most importantly, trying to ignore her ever-simmering rage. But when a series of deadly events rocks the compound, Ellie suspects her friend is right—something dangerous is going down in Flowertown and all signs point to a twisted plan of greed and abuse. She and the other residents of Flowertown have been betrayed by someone with a deadly agenda and their plan is just getting started. Time is running out. With nobody to trust and nowhere to go, Ellie decides to fight with the last weapon she has—her rage.

Let me start this by saying when you read a book and you personally know and like the author, you always start out feeling that no matter how spectacular or horrible the book is, you will still love it because you want that person to succeed in the writing and reading world. Well, let’s just say SG made it easy for me to write a shining review on this book, her first by the way!

What a brilliant plot! I don’t know how it is in other areas, but where I grew up and currently live, there are several plants surrounding us and several train tracks running through the area, bringing in and taking out heavens only knows what. I have been in more shelter in place scenarios than I can count. What I love about this book, is though while I hope that nothing this drastic would ever happen, I can see it happening, especially in our area.

SG has made such a dark, depressing and sad area that you just can’t get enough of. The characters are very memorable, not necessarily all lovable and sweet and innocent like many books I have read lately, but hard and real. They have been through Hell and feel at this point, what else is there to lose. And you can’t help but want more than nothing for them to get out of that God forsaken place.

And if the plot wasn’t enough to make your jaw drop, there were twists and turns around every corner and popping their way into several chapters. You think you know the direction of the book and BAM!, you realize you took a wrong turn somewhere and SG totally catches you off guard with something new.

Now I must warn you, one thing that comes along with this book is foul language. SG was asked to read to a group of grade school children and I couldn’t help but laugh when there was a cuss word on the first page. I can only imagine the bleeping and word skipping during these readings. I would have loved to hear it.

I can only hope that SG is writing a second book to follow up to this one. It kind of left us hanging and there is so much I still want to know about Ellie and what happens to her and Flowertown.

I give Flowertown 5 out of 5 bookmarks! Everyone needs to go out and get it and support a wonderful West Virginia writer!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flowertown.