stephanie's Reviews > The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

Sep 14, 08

bookshelves: 2008, contemporaryfiction, prize-winners, would-rec, young-adult, absolutely-must-read, adolescent, american-history, suicide
Recommended to stephanie by: Melissa
Recommended for: everyone.
Read in September, 2008

i resisted reading this book because of all of the critical acclaim - but then i realized i broke down and read Twilight just because of the hype, so i had no excuse.

and i'm glad i didn't.

this is the story of a boy who leaves the rez in search of something more. there's racism, there's native american culture, there's the harsh reality of life.

i alternately wanted to laugh and cry with each page. junior (aka arnold) is another YA male who has stolen my heart. his cartoons are genius, as are his revelations about life and the people he lives with. it really makes me wonder about everything - it makes me wonder yet again why we spend so much money on charities overseas and we don't look to our own people.

but then again, in a way, we don't think of them as our people, do we?

an eye-opener of a book that was hard to put down, and mixed humor with tragedy in one of the best books i've read in a long, long time.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

It's funny you mention the look right in our back yards and we don't. People were donating money for the earthquake in Haiti, which is a goodthing. However, the Pine Ridge Rez and several others in SD had their water plant break because of the severe winter storms this year. It was considered a state of emergency but since they already don't have indoor plumbing no one felt the need to get the news across the US.