Margot's Reviews > A Novel Bookstore

A Novel Bookstore by Laurence Cossé

May 20, 12

bookshelves: top-books, fiction, books-about-books
Read from May 12 to 20, 2012

The book for anyone who has ever loved a book with the intensity of loving a person. Equal parts pro-fiction and anti-commercialism, A Novel Bookstore will make you question why you aren't spending more hours peacefully reading challenging literature while hastily scripted, unoriginal pages like Fifty Shades of Gray are being pushed like crystal meth. I will reread this book over and over again.

"Those masterful novels are life-giving. They enchant us. They help us to live. They teach us.
We have no time to waste on insignificant books, hollow books, books that are here to please.
We have no time for those sloppy, hurried books of the 'Go on, I need it for July, and in September we'll give you a proper launch and sell one hundred thousand copies, it's in the bag' variety.
We want books that are written for those of us who doubt everything, who cry over the least little thing, who are startled by the slightest noise.
We want splendid books, books that immerse us in the splendor of reality and keep us there; books that prove to us that love is at work in the world next to evil, right up against it, at times indistinctly, and that it always will be, just the way that suffering will always ravage hearts. We want good novels."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Novel Bookstore.