Minyoung Lee's Reviews > The Accidental City: Improvising New Orleans

The Accidental City by Lawrence N. Powell

May 12, 2012

Read from May 12 to June 04, 2012

Pleasant read and overview on the history of New Orleans as a city if you can survive getting over the French building of the city. Yes, as mentioned in the book, I also found that New Orleanians tend to be more proud of their French roots than their Spanish roots, but based on the "funness" of the read and cultural impact implied in the book, it's the Spanish and their absurd self-identification as Catholic warriors that really built and shaped the intricateness of the city. Honestly, I was sad that it had to end with American Protestants taking over and trying to turn the city culture to Boston.

I feel like I understand the pulse of the city and its uniqueness much better after learning about the history and culture that influenced it. As the author declares, it is a city where people come to reinvent themselves, where it tries to be governed by the Catholic rule and laws of Enlightenment, but somehow maintains this hierarchy through a society where everyone is equal through raucousness.

Can't wait to learn more about this city.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Accidental City.

03/03/2016 marked as: read