Kat (Kindred Dreamheart)'s Reviews > The Dream Slayer

The Dream Slayer by Jill  Cooper

Jul 09, 2012

bookshelves: arc, blog-review, blog-tour, e-reader, misleading-cover
Read from June 07 to 14, 2012

3.5 hearts

We've all experienced a funk where NOTHING interests us. I mean you have satellite with over a thousand stations, for Pete's sake and there is NOTHING worth watching on the tube. Then there's an info commercial that really catches your eye. I mean it looks great and sounds like a miracle...God made that AB fat zapper specifically in answer to your prayers, wrapped that baby in gold foil, and presented it to you on Angel wings. So you you dial that toll free number and get your blessing for 4 easy installments of 29.99. And you're beaming for all the world to see. Heck you may even tweet about it. One week later it arrives in the mail and you're seriously questioning if it's really worth 120 bucks plus shipping and handling. *Sigh*

I was in a reading funk before this book came along. From first impressions, the synopsis and beautiful cover art instantly snagged my attention and interest.

The Dream Slayer is about a teenage girl named Natalie who is from an abusive home and get bullied at school. To cope with her unfortunate life, she created an alter ego in her dreams. She often visits this fabricated universe by dozing off or daydreaming. Natalie is a tad narcoleptic, but I loved her. She was believable. Her insecurities could have easily been my own. I loved the male friend harboring unsaid emotions swing and once best friend who grew apart. It helped to create a realistic high school portrayal. I felt that the school bully was way overdone; and the other nemesis' were a bit corny.

Overall, I had mixed feeling about this novel. While there were parts I loved, there were equally parts I didn't. The stereotypical 90's prime time show jargon, where the teenage dialect is super long winded in an attempt at comedy and intelligence was a major turn off. I mean it worked in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, sometimes on the Gilmore Girls and was a gray zone on Dawson's Creek. Any who in this story it acted as a distraction always taking the character completely off subject. Then as I read on I realized that this was Natalie's dream state. It bewilders me why her alter ego was so annoying, but heck, to each his own. Aside from her being a push over I actually liked the real Natalie. I especially liked the love triangle. It was definitely unusual and unique. In future novels I hope to see more of Natalie instead of her dream self. In the end, this novel helped pull me out of my reading funk. The non-stop action definitely keep me turning the pages.

Favorite Quote:
"'dreams don't kill people, people kill people' or do they?"

*I received a copy of this novel for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dream Slayer.

06/07/2012 page 1
0.32% "This cover is dreamy."
06/08/2012
11.0% "I'm trying to stay optimistic but things are wierd; and that's saying something coming from me."
06/10/2012
15.0% "Was that a joke on male cheerleaders? uh oh. #PomPomsUnite"
06/10/2012
16.0% "I was a cheerleader one year of Jr high, but I have to admit, some of these jokes are funny. :D"
06/10/2012
20.0% ""dreams don't kill people, people kill people" or do they?"
06/11/2012
35.0% "Creepy. Creep-opulus = New word for new definition of eerie. #Fun&Crazy"
06/13/2012
82.0% "getting better and better by the chapter"
show 1 hidden update…