KatLynne's Reviews > The Duchess War

The Duchess War by Courtney Milan

4.5 Brilliant Stars

Courtney Milan is one of my all-time favorite authors. Her books flow effortlessly and soon I find myself lost in the world and the lives she’s created.

Robert Alan Graydon Blaisdale is the Duke of Claremont and he’s determined to right his father’s wrongs. For me, he started out not the sexiest hero created, but as the story unfolds we get to know a man of remarkable character. I was drawn to the empathy he feels for those less fortunate. His radical beliefs are such that if I’d lived in his era I hope I would have whole heartedly supported his endeavors to change how the system works. He’s honest, intelligent, and a man who feels deeply for the plight of those who have no voice. His childhood background tugged strongly on my heart and I soon realized how it had shaped him into a man I soon came to love and admire. Unfortunately, this same background has left enough internal scars to cause him tremendous pain and feelings of inadequacy. I desperately wanted his utmost dream to come true.

Minnie aka Wilhelmina Pursling aka Minerva Lane has overcome great adversity from her past. She grew up delighting in a type of freedom most young women never experience. Now, her future is bleak and she lives in fear of discovery. What touched me most was Minnie’s lack of hope. How devastating to live each day, masquerading who you are and having no hope for a better future.

The setting is Leicester, England, 1863. With industry booming we get a glimpse of the conditions of the factory worker and their lack of voice. Robert has arrived determined to fix a problem occurring in this small town. Quite by accident he meets the intriguing and quiet Minnie. Why she tries to be invisible is another mystery to be solved.

Needless to say, I loved this book. I did have a minor quibble with a few aspects, but overall, it was an incredible read. I was somewhat disappointed at a decision made but it all worked out. A few times this felt more historical fiction than romance. Loving HF, this did not detract from my enjoyment and the sweet, warm romance developing soon gains first place. I became immersed in the relationship between Robert and Minnie along with their secrets. I found my emotions invested in their HEA.

As always, the secondary characters fit perfectly with the story. We meet Robert’s family and I was immediately attracted to his cousin, the delectable scientist, Sebastian. I loved the banter and the humor. I also became intrigued with Robert’s mother and was happy to see how she fit into the ending. Ms. Milan gives a very satisfying epilogue and now I’m once again waiting for the next installment to be devoured.
20 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duchess War.

Quotes KatLynne Liked

Courtney Milan
“His voice was rough when he spoke again. “So beat me to flinders,” he said. “Win. Overmatch me, Minnie. And when we’re alone…”
His fingers touched her chin lightly.
“When we’re alone,” he whispered, “look up.”
He could have tilted her chin, forcing her to do so. But his forefinger remained warm and steady on her face. He waited, and in the end, Minnie couldn’t help herself. She looked up.”
Courtney Milan, The Duchess War

12/11/2012 "YAY!! Sooo excited to be starting this tonight!" 4 comments
12/16/2012
80.0% "I am so loving this book!" 3 comments
12/18/2012
100.0% "Courtney Milan, you are such a bad girl. This book is sooo good. Took it to work yesterday; Phones ringing off hook and I let most of them go to voice mail:) Guys came in for lunch and didn't like not getting their service calls while they were out...oops:)" 3 comments

Susanne Great review! I also love Courtney Milan. I really liked her Turner series and now I just want to start this one!

message 2: by Dd (new) - added it

Dd Great review Kat!!:))

Keri Awesome review Kat. :-)

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Wonderful review, Kat! I just posted mine, too! We must have been writing at the same time.

I just adore Courtney Milan's stories and this one really did it for me.

**hugs**

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Wonderful review, KatLynne.

Jill So glad you loved it, KatLynne! Fantastic review! Don't forget A Kiss For Midwinter, Lydia's story.

message 7: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla Well done my sweet friend! I have yet to read this author, but all my GR buds rave about her!

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Karla wrote: "Well done my sweet friend! I have yet to read this author, but all my GR buds rave about her!"

Say it isn't so! This book is brilliant! You must read Courtney Milan!

Jill Karla wrote: "Well done my sweet friend! I have yet to read this author, but all my GR buds rave about her!"

I have yet to read this author,
No! I can't believe it! Drop everything, Karla....and start with The Governess Affair. You'll be doing yourself a favour! :)

KatLynne Susanne wrote: "Great review! I also love Courtney Milan. I really liked her Turner series and now I just want to start this one!"

Thank you Susanne. CM is an auto-buy author for me and I know you're going to love this series. Enjoy:)

KatLynne Dd wrote: "Great review Kat!!:))"

KatLynne Keri wrote: "Awesome review Kat. :-)"

Thank you sweet friend:)!

KatLynne UniquelyMoi *Dhestiny* BlithelyBookish wrote: "Wonderful review, Kat! I just posted mine, too! We must have been writing at the same time.

I just adore Courtney Milan's stories and this one really did it for me.

**hugs**"

Thank you Dhes:) I love everything she writes. I was in such a hurry this morning (wrote review while at work:) and forgot to put the heading in my review:)

((hugs))

KatLynne Kristen wrote: "Wonderful review, KatLynne."

Thanks Kristen:)

message 15: by KatLynne (last edited Dec 19, 2012 06:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

KatLynne Jill wrote: "So glad you loved it, KatLynne! Fantastic review! Don't forget A Kiss For Midwinter, Lydia's story."

Thank you Jilly. I loved this one too and have AKFM loaded:) I can't wait to read Lydia's story.

KatLynne Karla wrote: "Well done my sweet friend! I have yet to read this author, but all my GR buds rave about her!"

Thank you sweet friend. Courtney Milan's writing is brilliant and I know you'll become a big fan like the rest of us:) I agree with Dhes and Jilly, you must read her soon:)

message 17: by Louise (new)

Louise Great review KatLynne!:)

Blacky *Romance Addict* Awesome review KatLynne :D

KatLynne Louise wrote: "Great review KatLynne!:)"

KatLynne Blacky wrote: "Awesome review KatLynne :D"

Kelly22 Great review, nicely done KatLynne :D

KatLynne Kelly22 wrote: "Great review, nicely done KatLynne :D"

Thank you so much sweet friend. I'm glad you loved this too:)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Wonderful review, KatLynne! Even though The Duchess War was a disappointment for me, I'm happy that you enjoyed it so much. :))

KatLynne Baba wrote: "Wonderful review, KatLynne! Even though The Duchess War was a disappointment for me, I'm happy that you enjoyed it so much. :))"

Thank you Babs. While I loved this one I also understood many of the points you made. And there were times it had a HF feel instead of HR. Sorry it didn't work for you sweet friend.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter KatLynne wrote: "Baba wrote: "Wonderful review, KatLynne! Even though The Duchess War was a disappointment for me, I'm happy that you enjoyed it so much. :))"

Thank you Babs. While I loved this one I also understo..."

Thanks, KatLynne. Oh well, I just hope that I'm going to enjoy the sequel all the more. :)

Susanne Wonderful review, KatLynne! ♥

" For me, he started out not the sexiest hero created, but as the story unfolds we get to know a man of remarkable character. I was drawn to the empathy he feels for those less fortunate."

Ditto!