Janet Morris's Reviews > Danse Macabre

Danse Macabre by Laurell K. Hamilton

Feb 07, 2015

it was ok
bookshelves: disappointing-books, books-in-a-series, fantasy, 2012-reads, shapeshifters, supernatural, vampires, werewolves, zombies, violence, rating-2-stars
Read from May 12 to August 15, 2012

I have given up on the idea that the Anita Blake books will get any better or any different. How many times will Hamilton continue to write the same story over-and-over? How many times will she copy and paste entire paragraphs multiple times within one book?

Her creativity on the first few books of the series has not carried over. Instead, she's become so predictable that you know within a few minutes who Anita will be killing at the end and who she will be having sex with throughout the novel. If a character is male, she will do him. It doesn't matter if he's into girls or not. For some strange reason, everyone just has to have sex with Anita. These stories are basically adult Mary Sue stories.

And the sex scenes within the books, which are more common than any other kind of scenes, are even predictable. It is so predictable and repetitive that it is boring beyond belief. I had to stop and start this book so many times because it was just not good. I wish that Ms. Hamilton would at least start trying to write a decent novel. Half the time I'm reading these books, I'm hoping that the big bad monsters will just kill the main characters because that would make them more interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Danse Macabre.

05/12/2012 page 52
11.0% "Let this series get better, please let it get better"
05/12/2012 page 71
15.0% "Oh, great. Looks like another metaphysical rape session is about to start."
05/13/2012 page 100
21.0% "Why are these books so effing predictable? Vampire politics = another phrase for everyone wants to have sex with Anita."
05/13/2012 page 114
24.0% "Why are these books so effing predictable? Vampire politics = another phrase for everyone wants to have sex with Anita." 1 comment