Kira's Reviews > The Selection

The Selection by Kiera Cass
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
4074594
This infamous book. Oh, this book.

Yeah, I read it. I also fell once and speared myself with a broken tree root.

I can't seem to decide which was more painful.

Okay, okay. I kid. This book actually isn't the worst book I've ever read. But I suppose the merit of that statement is little, considering that the worst book I ever read was Mein Kampf.

There's your praise, The Selection! You're better than Mein Kampf. Give yourself a pat on the back.

So I've had the book open for about eight minutes and already I have questions. In traditional monarchy (let's put a pin in the fact that having a monarchy in a futuristic setting, and just randomly creating that monarchy out of nothing is so bloody stupid I could cry) eligible royals having relations with "commoners" is severely, severely frowned upon. In fact, the truth of the matter is that in most monarchies, especially those who held absolute power like the one in The Selection, in-breeding was the way to go. Why are there so many haemophiliacs in the British Monarchy? In-breeding is why. They marry siblings, and as time goes on, it inches away to the slightly less yakk-worthy concept of cousin-to-cousin matrimony.

In societies run by monarchy, one basic tenet is this: that everyone who isn't the monarchy is filth, and everyone who is was chosen by God and therefore pure. It's stupid to reason that one who believes they are touched by God would want to choose some random girl from the slums to be a womb on legs his wife. It's all about preservation of a bloodline.

[See this comment for further discussion on this. It's important to note that the monarchical system in Illea is not the same as the modern British monarchy. The main difference being that the British monarchy has absolutely no power, and the Illea government is absolute, meaning that tenets applying to the Illea monarchy are not comparable to the tenets of the 2012 British monarchy.]

I won't get started on the whole idea of a monarchy ruling a country hundreds of years in the future, when the idea of monarchy was rebelled against 300 years ago in real life. I suppose when Illea was created everyone not only forgot what poverty is but they started taking stupid pills, too. Because you'd have to be stupid not to be aware of the awful connotation of a royal family in power. Heck, the British monarchy has absolutely no power, but people still hate them.

I kind of hate them, too.

Yes, they forgot what poverty is, because America Singer (don't fucking get me started) talks about how THEY HAVE NOTHING and THEY'RE SO POOR and they're DIRT when just two or three paragraphs earlier, they were preparing chicken and pasta for dinner, and iced tea. With LEMON.

I am not kidding. America's family can afford citrus fruits, and yet she considers herself poor.

But America's life is hard, I hear you say! After all, she's only allowed one glass of the iced tea! One measly little glass! That's brutal! Harsh! Why, her poverty is crippling!

description

Clearly, something fishy is going on here.

And I can't get past these problems. I can't even get started on Prince Maxon, other than to say that if he turns out to be gay, I'll read the next book. That would be a really amazing twist.

But the world of The Selection is way too heteronormative, sterile and gimmicky to really invite that kind of complexity, and to develop characterization to any believable extent.

This book is shallow, boring, unbelievable, nonsensical, misinformed, entitled and just plain dumb. And I have not one iota of displeasure in saying so, given the abhorrently unprofessional and downright cheeky behavior of the author and her agent, who have done more damage to their reputations than any snarky review ever could. I am sick of this, folks. Sick, sick, sick of being scolded for having an opinion, scolded for defending myself and my friends, scolded for not rolling over and taking it when someone of superior influence than myself decides to get up on their pedastal and shit on the very people who line their pockets.

It is the most deplorable, crass, rude behavior and I will not stand for it. And I will not pour money into it, either.

What a waste of time this was.
507 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Selection.
sign in »

Comments (showing 21-70)





message 70: by [deleted user] (new)

Woot!! What will we call it? The Twitter To-do, the Tweeting Tussle, the Twit Tiff, the Social Media Scrimmage?


message 69: by [deleted user] (new)

Why only Bell? Why can't Rogers join in? *Hates Rogers with a burning passion*


Christina (A Reader of Fictions) Twittopia. Tweetocracy!


Bookphilia Are we sure this will not extend past Twitter and into other forums, author blogs and online news journals (Huffington Post, The Guardian, etc.)? It could be WWWW3: World Wide Web War 3.

Perhaps your personal twitterfeed will end up being collected into "The Tweets of a Young Woman".


message 66: by Kira (last edited May 12, 2012 09:34PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Kira Mocha ღ Latte wrote: "Why only Bell? Why can't Rogers join in? *Hates Rogers with a burning passion*"

I hate Rogers too. You're right; they're awful. Let's throw Rogers in there too. *eyes of rage*


message 65: by Experiment BL626 (new)

Experiment BL626 There's also Twittercide.
Twittercide [twit-er-sahyd]: the killing of one human being by another while the victim is in the act of tweeting.
Social Suicide



Bookphilia Experiment BL626 wrote: "There's also Twittercide.Twittercide [twit-er-sahyd]: the killing of one human being by another while the victim is in the act of tweeting.
— Social Suicide "

What if you're a serial Twittercidal maniac?


Lisa (Fic Talk) I like all these comments.


Hannah BWAHAHAHA! That's hilarious, but entirely because it's true.


message 61: by Giselle (last edited May 30, 2012 12:47PM) (new)

Giselle Ugh I totally agree! It's why I never got really interested in this book. Then the whole drama Wendy had to go through with this author's agent (they never learn, huh!?).


message 60: by [deleted user] (new)

Kira wrote: "Mocha ღ Latte wrote: "Why only Bell? Why can't Rogers join in? *Hates Rogers with a burning passion*"

I hate Rogers too. You're right; they're awful. Let's throw Rogers in there too. *eyes of rage*"


Mwahah!


Hana❦Joy wrote: "BWAHAHAHA! That's hilarious, but entirely because it's true."

Shh! No cupcakes for you! *takes cupcakes away*

Experiment BL626 wrote: "There's also Twittercide.Twittercide [twit-er-sahyd]: the killing of one human being by another while the victim is in the act of tweeting.
— Social Suicide "


Gah! You just reminded me that I still haven't read Social Suicide yet!


Victoria Re: the monarchy, true dat, Kira. The age of absolutism died with the Russian czars.

I'm not going to lie, though. This book is great for cocktail party conversation. I always tell people, "DO YOU WANT TO HEAR ABOUT THE WORST BOOK I'VE EVER READ?" And then I summarize the plot/worldbuilding, and there is general hilarity, and everyone asks for more liquor, because that's the kind of book it is.

This replaces my previous favorite cocktail party topic of conversation, which was Worst High School English Teacher Ever.


Amelia This is so true. Kings and Queens and Princes have no power really in today's world.


message 57: by Rinoa (new)

Rinoa Heartilly Pfft. Who cares about logic when you can have, like, fancy dresses and titles and stuff?


message 56: by Kira (new) - rated it 1 star

Kira Rinoa wrote: "Pfft. Who cares about logic when you can have, like, fancy dresses and titles and stuff?"

I know. Funny, dat. Looking at the covers for recent YA dystopian releases, it seems the only thing that ever survives the apocalypse is hair product and colored taffeta.


message 55: by Rinoa (new)

Rinoa Heartilly You forgot the insta-love. That shit will live through anything if recent successfull YA authors are any indication. x.x


Nobonita Nice Review!I totally agree with twitter being the cause of WW3.What about Facebook?Maybe that's why my mom doesn't let me use any other social networking sites instead of goodreads.Or maybe not.....


message 53: by Skyla (last edited Aug 09, 2012 12:29PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Skyla I disagree with you on a monarchy happening in the future only in that I could kind of see it happening but not in what is now America (there is a monarchy in Cinder and I found that worked but of course the NA had a president in that). I do agree with you on the whole they wouldn't marry commoners thing to a point but then again Wills just married Kate and she was common but they do usually end up marrying their cousins =)

I also found it odd that America complains about being poor when she was eating chicken and had lemons. Lemons may be cheap now (well relatively so. I think they are 50 cents each at Sobey's) but in the future when you segregate yourself from the rest of the world in your country lemons would be harder to come by and unless you are buying the really cheap horrible pasta in bulk it is still like $6 for a small box. Chicken is like $20 for 4 breasts so yeah that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Ice Tea if you buy No Name brand is like $5 for a giant container that lasts forever but when I was poor we only got to drink water with maybe so cheap-o lemon juice put in (the stuff you buy to put on pancakes. It is only a $1 for a big bottle at the StupidStore).

Your review made me laugh, especially that pic. Thanks =)

And I kind of ship aspen/Maxon because that would be funny.


message 52: by [deleted user] (new)

When are you you going to read 50 Shades Of Shit????


message 51: by Kira (new) - rated it 1 star

Kira Bo wrote: "When are you you going to read 50 Shades Of Shit????"

Lol, I'm psyching myself up for it, Bo! But soon...


message 50: by Kira (last edited Aug 09, 2012 02:11PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Kira Skyla, I'm glad you enjoyed my review!

What's important to note, though, is that Kate really isn't a commoner. She comes from a family of huge wealth and privilege. She and William met at St. Andrews University which is notorious for educating the aristocracy.

Also, William is free to marry Kate now, despite her not being of royal descent, only because the British monarchy holds no power. In the past, when monarchies had actual political control, William and Kate's marriage would have been unheard of. A good example of how recently this rule applied was Charles and Camilla; they originally could not marry because Camilla was a divorcee. Diana, on the other hand, was a Lady (Lady Diana Spencer) and a virgin (such was the misogyny of the monarchy).


Skyla Kira wrote: "Skyla, I'm glad you enjoyed my review! What's important to note, though, is that Kate really isn't a commoner. She comes from a family of huge wealth and privilege. She and William met at St. Andre..."

I know. Kate wasn't always from wealth and privileged though. Her parents made their money in business, if the bio channel is to believe at least =)


Andrew married Fergie and she wasn't all that well off either. When they got married there was a bit of a hullabaloo because they believed her to be very common and cheap. My Mum always says she never trusted Fergie.

I know that in a world like the one created in The Selection that the old rules would most likely apply aka no commoners which is why I found the world building lazy. And the fact that what is now America would never in a million years do the monarchy thing. Europe and Asia and Africa might because even though the monarchies hold little to no power in most of them, they have had hundreds if not thousands of years of this type of government.


Mel (who is deeply in love with herself) Kira wrote: "Skyla, I'm glad you enjoyed my review! What's important to note, though, is that Kate really isn't a commoner. She comes from a family of huge wealth and privilege. She and William met at St. Andre..."



Yes, exactly.


message 47: by Kira (new) - rated it 1 star

Kira "Europe and Asia and Africa might because even though the monarchies hold little to no power in most of them, they have had hundreds if not thousands of years of this type of government."

This is a very good point. America has never had a monarchy, so the question I was constantly asking myself was, "Where did this monarchical bloodline come from?" I couldn't understand (a) how one family could just suddenly exalt themselves into this absurd form of power when nothing had ever been remotely like it in America before, and (b) why anyone in America would stand for it.

Very silly.


message 46: by Skyla (last edited Aug 09, 2012 02:31PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Skyla Kira wrote: ""Europe and Asia and Africa might because even though the monarchies hold little to no power in most of them, they have had hundreds if not thousands of years of this type of government."

This is ..."


I think it is semi explained at some point that this guy Illea married a princess from somewhere and they established Illea the country and everyone fell in line because he was awesome or some shit.

And do we even need to talk about her name for what the Scandinavian countries become Swendway or something like that.


message 45: by Kira (new) - rated it 1 star

Kira "the Scandinavian countries become Sweddway or something like that."

LMAOOO.


message 44: by Skyla (last edited Aug 09, 2012 02:44PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Skyla Kira wrote: ""the Scandinavian countries become Sweddway or something like that."

LMAOOO."


Here is a tidbit from Vanessa "Sei"'s Review that pretty much sums up the history of the place and the Swendway thing:

The United States as we currently know it got so severely indebted to China, that the Chinese invaded. Why you would go so far as to invade a country with a failing economy is anyone's guess. Maybe it's revenge - the Chinese government in this world don't take kindly to countries borrowing money and being unable to pay them back. Who knows. (Also, where the hell is the UN?) So, while the Chinese invaded and took Americans in as labour, Russia reared its head. The American State of China was pulled between these two superpowers, when all of a sudden... from the bosom of Heaven itself, came Gregory Illéa.

Gregory Illéa. The man who reunited the States. The man who stopped all the fighting. (Apparently.) The man who turned the United States into a kingdom by marrying into a royal family. Which royal family? It's never explained. Shame, really.

Speaking of royal families, in the last third of the book we're introduced to the royal family of Swendway, Scandinavia. Oh, so apparently the world went to hell and Sweden, Denmark and Norway went back into being the Kalmar Union. There's also a representative from Honduragua, which has to be the best name of any country ever. The royal families don't do a damn thing, which is a bit annoying because, while they aren't built up very much, I was expecting them to bring the winds of change with them and actually GET THE PLOT GOING.


Her review of this book is actually really good.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...


Amelia When I got to the photo, I literally fell out of my chair laughing.
I'm so glad I didn't buy this when I could've.


message 42: by Kira (new) - rated it 1 star

Kira Aelia wrote: "When I got to the photo, I literally fell out of my chair laughing.
I'm so glad I didn't buy this when I could've."


OMG, I almost bought it too. I was brainwashed by the cover. But I did a Mamo-chan and snapped out of it before I ended up gutting my wallet.


message 41: by Aarone (new)

Aarone You should have put a McKayla Maroney unimpressed meme in this review, lol!


Elizabeth(The Book Whisperer) Well I guess I will remove this from my to read list


Despair Speaking *looks at money in hand to buy The Selection and slowly puts it away* I guess I should look for another book then. I'll read it if my friend buys it which I think she would since she likes stuff like this. There are a lot of other interesting books left. Maybe I should buy The Mysterious Benedict Series or something...


message 38: by Serina (new)

Serina ROLF!!! omg yall had me laughing so hard esp at part when ur like woe is me i only can have one glass of tea!


message 37: by Twenty (new)

Twenty One Personally I can totally see a return of monarchies in the future. Certain entities and families are amongst a privileged group who, if not exactly running the world, have at least been extremely influential in the direction things have taken for the past few hundred years. But let's not get into that here. This book is really no worse than most other books in the same genre. Of course it's no Hunger Games but good enough in my opinion. However of course I respect your opinion, at any rate, the only reason I felt compelled to write this reply is your assumption that the British system of monarchy is the only example! In china for example, the process of wife finding for the emperor was quite similar to the world of the selection. The only difference being the emperor could actually keep a harem! Which at first seems disgusting and distasteful until one realizes that the dynamics in a modern program like the bachelor arent that far off from that of a harem. Petty jealousies, competition, intrigue, politics, etc. I think the writer was quite influenced by the far eastern systems in general. Introduction of the caste system for example, which is to this date being unofficially practiced btw. Forgive me for literally jumping in on the discussion, but even though I wish I could subscribe to your worldview since it's much more comfortable, unfortunately its not as cut and dry as all that.


message 36: by Kira (new) - rated it 1 star

Kira Twenty wrote: "Personally I can totally see a return of monarchies in the future. Certain entities and families are amongst a privileged group who, if not exactly running the world, have at least been extremely i..."

I'm glad you enjoyed this book more than I did, and while I found your comment interesting, I am annoyed about this sentence: "your assumption that the British system of monarchy is the only example!��"

At no point throughout the review did I express that the British monarchy is the only example. I was, however, born and raised in Britain, which would mean that I have some degree of experience when it comes to living in a country where a monarchy does exist.

Perhaps the author did consider eastern customs such as the harem, but I feel as if the level of sophistication required to really pick apart these systems was not invited by this book. Also, if this book was intended to dissect customs exclusive to the east, that would beg the question as to why every character was white and western.

Perhaps this book would have been better off as a historical novel, detailing the journey of a girl involved in the wife-finding process under a Chinese emperor. However, that would have meant not riding on the cash-grab coattails of the recent popular dystopian trend, and I suppose that just wouldn't do at all.


message 35: by Twenty (new)

Twenty One English not being my first language perhaps I'm losing something in translation? Reading your comments about rules of conduct in monarchical societies, one can only assume that since there are many other countries with vastly different traditions and codes of conduct, that you must be only speaking of how things are done in Britain and perhaps a few other European countries? Isn't that what your comments imply? As to your second question, after Star Wars borrowing all the Samurai cultural references from Japan in a decidedly western society and globalization of course, I don't see why oriental cultural references cannot be made in a white, western society which according to somewhere above was actually invaded by China! I think this part is the part that actually makes sense and was obviously thought out by the author. Regarding the character of America, I feel the same cannot be said. Also, regarding her name, wasn't America first the name of a person, and then the continent?


Skyla Twenty wrote: "English not being my first language perhaps I'm losing something in translation? Reading your comments about rules of conduct in monarchical societies, one can only assume that since there are many..."

Well America was colonized by European settlers so it stands to reason that they would follow a somewhat European-esque monarchy system. They were invaded by China yes, but from the sounds of it I think they want to eradicate the things China did to them when they were invaded and therefore rid themselves of the aspects of Chinese culture they would have assimilated during the takeover (this is what I took from the books anyways).


message 33: by Angel (new)

Angel R I'm going to listen to your review. Ive learned the hard way of not noticing all the bad reviews of a book, and then reading it anyways (Beta - Rachael Cohn = WORSE BOOK EVER!). Thank you for letting me, and other readers, know how terrible this book is. The cover looks great, but I won't let that trick me :)


message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Angelee wrote: "The cover looks great, but I won't let that trick me :) "

It's a trap!!


message 31: by Becky (new) - rated it 1 star

Becky Ha. I made the mistake of picking this book up after all (what was I thinking? I'd been away from GR for too long!) and it was just as awful as everybody said it was. I wish I'd remembered the behavior of the author before I read it, but oh well.

I'm with you, America's poverty didn't actually seem all that terrible. I mean, they didn't have any food for seconds?! Sure, that sucks, but there are families without any food at all. I had a hard time feeling like it was really necessary for America's family to pimp her out when they had a roof over their head and food on the table.


message 30: by Erin (new)

Erin Please, please read and review The Elite! I can't bring myself to read these books but I love good reviews of bad books!!


Allison While I did enjoy the book, I found the review insanely funny and much more entertaining.


message 28: by Polly (new) - rated it 1 star

Polly Roth I've got to say...ur review was WAY more entertaining than the book itself! And the book was like 250 pages!


message 27: by Efie (new)

Efie THANK YOU!!!! Your review just kept me from making one of the BIGGEST mistakes of my life (apparently). I admit I'm a sucker for cover art so I was going to read this book but when I saw the names (AMERICA SINGER??!! Really?) I decided to investigate. Thank GOD I did!


Becca Really? You're comparing this to a book written by Hitler?


message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Becca wrote: "Really? You're comparing this to a book written by Hitler?"

And you are yet again trolling another review of The Selection. Wander off now.


message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura Imma let you finish, but "so-boring-i-ate-my-own-face" is my favourite bookshelf of ALL TIME


message 23: by Kira (new) - rated it 1 star

Kira Becca wrote: "Really? You're comparing this to a book written by Hitler?"

Your point being?

*dry*


message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Becca wrote: "Really? You're comparing this to a book written by Hitler?"

Nah. She just hid this sentence inside her review in the hopes that a brilliant, extraordinary intellect would come over, dig it out and question it to show the rest of us simpletons how it's done.
Congratulations, Beccs, you're officially the brainiest person in this thread.


message 21: by Aarone (new)

Aarone Im confused. Was the rating for this book always 4.10 stars... or did it suddenly rise up within the past week??


« previous 1
back to top