Cameron's Reviews > Beckoning Light

Beckoning Light by Alyssa Rose Ivy

Jun 07, 12

Read from May 12 to 14, 2012

Originally posted on the blog: What the Cat Read

When I first started reading this book, I wasn’t entirely sure I was going to like it. But the more I kept reading, the more my feelings began to change and I found myself becoming lost in the story. I liked how Ivy changed perspectives between Charlotte and Kevin throughout the story. It allowed the opportunity to see events from both sides, rather than just one. It’s always nice to hear how another character sees things. I’m not saying that every author should make a habit of doing this, but sometimes a change of perspective can be fun. At the very least it leads to more insight into the plot. Murr!

I think what initially had me hesitate with this story was the instant attraction between Charlotte and Calvin. There was a part of me that cringed when it happened because I’m really not a fan of insta-love and so it was hard for me to take the book seriously at that point. However, once it was explained why this happened and it became apparent that things were not entirely all sunshine and roses between the two of them, I found myself enjoying the story more. Yes, a part of me loves it when there is conflict between a couple destined to be together. It makes for a more believable story in the end.

The book is a fast, easy read. I think I got it done in about three hours, though it might have been four. The plot is intriguing and Ivy does a great job of setting things up for the next book in the series. However, I kind of wish that the book was just a bit longer. I don’t know why, but I felt like the story was rushed in many places. I’m not joking when I say it is a fast read. Now, some of this may be because of the changes in perspective, but it just seemed like there were parts that could have been given more time to. Especially in the beginning. One minute Charlotte and Kevin are adjusting to life back home in Charleston and suddenly they are in a new world. It just felt too abrupt to me and I found myself wanting more.

Regardless of this, I liked the book and I’m looking forward to reading the rest of the series at some point. The world that Ivy has created is beautiful and there are enough unresolved issues to leave you wanting to find out what happens next. Overall, I have to give this three paws and a tail wave for a great start to what promises to be an interesting trilogy. Murr!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beckoning Light.