Marc Leroux's Reviews > Bury Your Dead

Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny

Jul 14, 12

bookshelves: canada, series, mystery-suspense, fiction, favorites, _hardcover
Read from July 13 to 14, 2012 — I own a copy

I'm not sure why a review of this book is necessary. If you liked the previous books, then you will naturally pick this up. If this is your first exposure to the series, then go back to Still Life and start from there. I'm sure you will enjoy this book, but the enjoyment will be greatly enhanced if you understand the dynamics between Beauvoir and Ruth, and Gamache and the top brass at the Sûreté du Québec.
The book is really the second part of The Brutal Telling and Inspector Beauvoir really comes into his own after Gamashe has second thoughts about his identification of the murderer of the Hermit, and asks Beauvoir to look into it. Meanwhile, Gamache is consulting on a murder in Québec City. A third thread, a raid gone bad resulting in both Gamashe and Beauvoir being wounded, is a thread that bids the two investigations together.
As with many of Penny's books, it helps to have an active internet connection when reading the book. I spent a bit of time looking up a number of the references; who knew that Rameses was in Niagara Falls? I'm still struggling with "The Night is a strawberry", but I'll get there, eventually, I'm sure.
This is my favorite of the series so far. It's a great read, and subject to the disclaimer in the first paragraph, well worth picking up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bury Your Dead.