Liza's Reviews > Crank

Crank by Ellen Hopkins

Aug 10, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, young-adult-contemporary, classroom-library
Read from August 07 to 09, 2012

Reviewing this book is so hard, because I already knew how this book would end, before I even read it. I never went out to purposefully read spoilers, but it's simply testament to how much people, especially teens, love this novel in verse.

I remember all of last year students would constantly talk to me about this book and beg that I add it to my classroom library, while telling me everything about the book in an effort to win me over. I finally decided to listen to them and I'm glad I did.

Crank is such a special novel. You watch as Kristina becomes addicted to crank and all of the negative consequences that fall upon her. There are so many times you'll cringe, but because it is in verse those horrible situations seem to not follow you. It's not that I couldn't connect with Kristina, just I felt like a voyeur watching her highs and lows. It was hard for me to stay stuck on one moment when this verse novel read so quickly.

When she becomes "Bree" Kristina is a whole other person. There are some things I simply never understood. Not on a plot level, but on a human level. If Kristina's mother KNEW her father was a drug addict and left him for that same reason, why would she even let her visit him? What the hell was wrong with Kristina's father? Why, oh why, was Kristina's mother in such denial when it became obvious Kristina/Bree was under the heavy influence of something much stronger than weed?

By the end of Crank I felt relieved for Kristina, because I was hoping that maybe just maybe she would change, knowing very well that probably wasn't going to happen despite the horrible things she went through. Even after her life changing event you just knew she was still addicted, though it made complete sense, but still I wanted better for her.

I know there's a sequel to this, but I'm not ready to read it just yet. I can't see Kristina fall further and further after everything she went through. I think I'm in need of some happy novels, but despite my need for Fluff novels to balance all the sadness and despair, this will be a series I look forward to finishing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crank.

08/08/2012 page 152
28.0% "What the hell is wrong with Kristina's father and why on God's earth did her mother think it was a good idea for her to visit him???"