Kaitlin's Reviews > Fooled by Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and in the Markets

Fooled by Randomness by Nassim Nicholas Taleb

May 12, 12

Read in November, 2011

I enjoyed some of the ideas in this book, but there weren't too many of them. I found the book to be redundant and rambling at times.

However, the author does a great job of making the book accessible to many types of readers. I work in finance, but this book isn't really about finance. There is very little finance jargon (or even tough vocab) in here, and what little there is is well defined. There are also no abstract concepts the author doesn't explain well (sometimes too well - get on with it!).

I was most frustrated by the author's tone. He says before the references section at the end that the book was meant to be playful, but it just isn't. The author is condescending and spends half the book reaming journalists and smack-talking other traders. He practically lives in a cave because he is afraid of most technology and other people. He is self-righteous, misanthropic and just a downer in general.

The book really could've been fun, as the author clearly has the chops to write at an accessible level about interesting subject matter. Too bad the author was too busy fleshing out his personal grudges to do that.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fooled by Randomness.