Dreams's Reviews > Crow's Row

Crow's Row by Julie Hockley

This book actually surprised me...
I decided to read it based on a recommendation that was given to me based on another book I liked, "Beautiful Disaster" by Jamie McGuire.

When I read the summary of this one, I was a bit concerned. I often find the "kidnapped/Stockholm syndrome" type stories a little too cliche and worried this one might pan out that way too.

What I found was a very well written story, full of in depth character development, a story that had a good plot, and an ending I didn't expect.

Hockley's writing is refreshing...not to sound puritanical, because I am not, but, often I get sick of what I feel is the over use of explicit language in books. Sometimes it doesn't even make sense with the story or characters and I feel like authors just throw it in there for the shock factor. There may have been some but, I can't recall even one curse word in this book. To me, a good writer can tell a story with or without the use of whatever language they want and it shouldn't be the focal point of the story- it was not in Crows Row.

The conveyance of emotion in this story is beautifully done. Hockley had a way of drawing me into Emily's world even when it wasn't a very pretty place to be. One of my favorite quotes of the book was from Emily's point of view...I won't mention who or what she's talking about...you can read the book and find out :)

"Love is excruciating, especially when you can feel it slipping through your fingers and there is nothing you can do about it. Like someone was playing tug-of-war with my limbs, ripping to shreds whatever was left behind. What it would feel like when love was lost...I wouldn't survive that. I closed my eyes willing the tears to stay hidden behind my eyelids and focusing on breathing in and out instead of the pain that was ramming in my heart."
11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crow's Row.

Quotes Dreams Liked

Julie Hockley
“How do you know when you're There, I had once wondered. Maybe you're lucky enough to notice the moment it's happening to you. Maybe you're able to block out all the other stuff that is, in the end, just background noise. But, most often, you don't know that you were There until you lose it, or until it gets taken away from you. When you look back, you clearly see that time, that place, when all the pieces of you had finally fit together to make you blissfully happy, make you your whole self. Like one of those jumbo puzzles that take up your entire kitchen table for weeks, the tiny pieces are just cardboard shapes with colors splashed on them, and they don't make any sense until you find their rightful place among the other pieces. When you put the last piece into place and the pieces now form a complete picture, that's when you're There. But while you were busy thinking about gluing the puzzle together, so that the pieces would never be apart again, someone comes from behind you, destroys the last piece and throws the rest of the pieces away. Even if you could muster up enough courage to put the pieces back together, the picture would never be complete again, because of the last missing piece...which, as it turned out, was smack in the middle, or in the heart, of the picture.”
Julie Hockley, Crow's Row

Julie Hockley
“Love is excruciating, especially when you can feel it slipping through your fingers and there is nothing you can do about it. Like someone was playing tug-of-war with my limbs, ripping to shreds whatever was left behind. What it would feel like when love was lost...I wouldn't survive that. I closed my eyes willing the tears to stay hidden behind my eyelids and focusing on breathing in and out instead of the pain that was ramming in my heart.”
Julie Hockley, Crow's Row