Charles's Reviews > Glamour in Glass

Glamour in Glass by Mary Robinette Kowal

M 50x66
May 12, 2012

Read from May 12 to 29, 2012

How do you follow "Jane Austen with magic"? You throw in the French Revolution! I really want to give this 4.5 stars. This was a very solid novel that took everything established in "Shades of Milk and Honey" and then expanded it through an increased exposure to the world and some revelations of the characters' backgrounds. The writing, prose, and period research are just as good as in the previous novel, creating an incredibly deep world that carries authenticity even with the addition of magic. Kowal masterfully involves Glamour, a magic of art and style, into a suspenseful plot that could not happen the way it does without it. Several well-crafted plot twists help increase the tension beyond the higher background hum of the wars. The pace of this book is quicker than "Shades" as a result, something I found pleasing.

***spoilers***
The interactions between Victor and Jane are awesome. I love how they can be civil, and still have disagreements, and still show their devotion to each other. This is a skill I can only hope to aspire to in the real world. This couple joins a short list of Robert Jordan couples that I see my marriage reflected in.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glamour in Glass.