Katie's Reviews > The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Jun 06, 12

bookshelves: favorites, 5-stars, library
Read from May 25 to June 01, 2012

Title: The Maze Runner (#1 in the Maze Runner series)
Author: James Dashner
Publisher: Delacorte Press Books for Young Readers
Length: 374 pages
My Rating: 5/5 Stars
My Rating Scale:
1 Star= I flat out hated it/terrible/I wanted to scratch my eyes out.
2 Stars= I didn’t like it
3 Stars= It was okay/I moderately liked it
4 Stars= I really liked it, but it wasn’t totally perfect
5 Stars= Holy literary gods! I LOVED this book!

Plot Summary:
Thomas wakes up in the Glade and remembers only his name and nothing about his life. However, Thomas is not alone. The other boys in the Glade also have no recollections of their past lives. Yet, these boys all stand united in the mission to escape the Glade and solve the mystery behind the maze which surrounds the Glade. The only problem is creepy Grievers roam the maze and will kill any boys who don’t seek refuge within the Glade. Shortly after Thomas arrives, a young girl arrives in the maze and delivers an eerie message that indicates the imminent end of the Glade. Thomas and the others are immediately forced attempt to successfully escape. The only question is how?

I fell in love with this plot. I simply fell head over heels for the creativity of this book.

I loved ALL the characters. They were all so unique and different. I also enjoyed how Dashner named the characters after prominent men/women of society. I thought that was creative and awesome!

The writing style was fabulous. I felt like I was in the Glade with the boys. Dashner really had a creative writing style that places the readers in the text.

The book had a nice pace and was unpredictable.

I have nothing bad to say about this book!!

Final Thoughts:
I really loved this book. Sometimes I have felt like the young adult genre was lacking; I felt like plots were being recreated; authors were losing their sense of creativity; and I was just bummed with the young adult authors. However, this book restored my trust in the young adult literature genre. I highly encourage authors to not be afraid to try something new. Trust me, as a reader, reading 5,000 books about a love triangle is clichéd. DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT BECAUSE WE WILL LOVE IT! This book is completely different. As mentioned, this book is the first in the series. I can’t wait to read the second book because this book was a TOTAL cliff hanger! I’m dying to know what happens next!

Recommendations:
I’d recommend this book to those who enjoy action, dystopian societies, science fiction, darkness, and mystery.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maze Runner.

05/30/2012 page 200